Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All.

Been searching and searching and seems like there are various posts regarding the amount of CVT ATF that's needed for a change. Anyone know for sure the amount needed? Been reading 3 qts is enough while another says you may need as much as 6 qts for a change.

Also, anyone have pics/locations of the drain plug and fill area? Threads I've searched seem to have foggy descriptions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was billed for 3 (quarts, I assume)

Hello,

We just had a the major maintenance package performed on our new
2003 CVT (purchased with 82,000 miles). I didn't have any maintenance
records so I figured it best to have everything possible done.

On the invoice under "parts" it says:

QTY: 3 FP-NUMBER: 08200-9001 DESCRIPTION: FLUID ATF-Z1 UNIT PRICE: 6.13

To me, this suggests 3 quarts since the price is about what you see in advertisements for quart bottles.

Years ago I used to work at a car dealership and there was a mechanic who
pretty much spent his time taking apart automatic transmissions, flushing out the gunk, and putting them back together. He told me he'd be out of
a job if people changed the fluid when they were supposed to.

Somewhere on this forum there is a link to an online copy of the owners manual, which has some information on fluid capacities.

regards,

Gene

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: I was billed for 3 (quarts, I assume)

[quote

QTY: 3 FP-NUMBER: 08200-9001 DESCRIPTION: FLUID ATF-Z1 UNIT PRICE: 6.13

[/quote]

That is standard Honda ATF fluid, NOT the Honda CVT fluid which is specifically for Honda CVT transmissions. It is still acceptable though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey all, thought I'd just chime in after the change. The bolt took quite a bit of oomph to get off. In fact I had to kick my socket wrench to even get it to budge! :( The magnet on the bolt had a coating of fine metal shavings which I cleaned off. Probably should have changed the fluid sooner (hopefully no long term damage. :/). My Insight is slightly over 41K miles. Normal schedule is 45K I believe.

To sum it up, a CVT change it's more than 3 qts ($8.44/qt). After 3, the dipstick showed the fluid just to be barly touching the lower dot of the dipstick. Seems like you'll need somewhere between 3-4 qts to get it full.

Also, I couldn't for the foggy find where you can pour the CVT fluid in. After a good 15 minutes of searching, just poured the three quarts I had in via the dip stick hole. Anyone have a picture to show where it is?

Considering doing another another change at 60K. Was scary to see the coat of fine metal particles on the magnetized drain bolt.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Braxus. Hopefully that will help someone else in future.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Braxus said:
Also, I couldn't for the foggy find where you can pour the CVT fluid in. After a good 15 minutes of searching, just poured the three quarts I had in via the dip stick hole. Anyone have a picture to show where it is?
The dipstick area is the only place to pour the fluid into so you were correct in your decision :D

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts