Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody,
Last week my check engine light came on and the green light beside the gear indicators began flashing beside the 'D' for drive. An hour later the assist and regen stopped working. Next day everything was fine again. Next day the lights came back on, but the assist/regen still worked. Yesterday the lights came on again, assist/regen were not working and the transmission started acting up. From a stoplight, the engine revved up to about 3,500 rpm, but the car barely inched forward. I started blipping the throttle and the car slowly started moving accompanied by a horrible burning smell. Smelled like burnt rubber. This morning, everything worked fine. ATF is full and clean. Ideas? 50,000 miles, it's an '06.

I'm afraid my dealer won't be able to diagnose it because I'm in Ontario, and I have the only U.S. CVT model in Canada.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's my theory:
ATF fluid is bad (after all, it has never been changed). Computer is limiting power so transmission doesn't get damaged.

Sound logical?

·
7,136 Posts
Technically, no. The computers have no way of knowing that the fluid is bad.

If the transmission is malfunctioning though, that could be the case. The question is, why is the transmission malfunctioning?

Also, and I'm sorry, but in light of the CVT vs. MT reliability discussion, this thread made me laugh out loud. I don't think any MT has had a failure at 50k miles. :p

Anyway, what is the recommended CVT fluid service interval? Seems like I've seen recommendations to change it more often than every 50k.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Have you checked your ground straps?

Sam

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Anyway, what is the recommended CVT fluid service interval? Seems like I've seen recommendations to change it more often than every 50k.
You're probably correct. I'll have to check the manual. I've relied on the dealer too much, and should be more proactive since the car is an anomaly up here.

·
7,136 Posts
Since you live in Canada, the "Severe Service" schedule applies to you.

I am not sure if the maintenance schedule in the knowledge base is for MT or CVT Insights, but it says that the transmission fluid should be changed every 30k or 2 years, whichever comes first, under severe conditions.

In that case, you're 4 years and 20k miles overdue. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked that up last night too. I am a real stickler for maintenance so I'm feeling pretty stupid right now. I've never owned an automatic, so the thought never crossed my mind. Anyhoo... just bought 6 quarts of CVT ATF from the dealer @ $8 per quart (My sister works there so I get her discount). I'm going to do a flush/change this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts