Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching but haven't had any luck. Has anyone done their own service on the CVT? Is it just a fluid and filter change?

Is it just me or is the search function weak on this board? I can swear I've searched for other things here with results but, I searched for CVT+fluid and CVT+service and got anything but these.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's just a fluid change, no filter. Be sure to use the new Honda CVT oil, dont try using Dexron ATF, etc. FWIW, you have to fill the trans through the little dipstick tube, which requires a bit of Southern engineering to fashinon a funnel with a tiny inside diameter hose, etc. I fashioned one out of some clear plastic tubing attached to a regular oil fill funnel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks for the info. Does anyone happen to remember how much fluid it takes? I would guess the owner’s manual contains the capacity also.

Thanks Again,
Todd

·
Registered
1 Posts
CVT capacity

Todd said:
Great, thanks for the info. Does anyone happen to remember how much fluid it takes? I would guess the owner’s manual contains the capacity also.

Thanks Again,
Todd
4.5 qts to refill

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting some conflicting info here. Some have said 3 qts for a service. Also, Honda lists a CVT filter. Is 4.5 quarts with filter change? Is this filter for a service at a later mileage?

18940 010 1 FILTER

Thanks all,
Todd

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The Insight does NOT use a filter for the CVT transmission. Who is telling you it does....a Dealership idiot perhaps? I'm thinking they might be looking up the Civic Hybrid.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Pages 14-136 & 14-166 in the factory service manual show a ATF fluid strainer that is bolted to the bottom of the valve body with two bolts. So yes, there is indeed a replaceable fluid strainer in the CVT. I sure wish I had known this before I switched over to the new CVT fluid. :?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The factory service manual does not list a maintenance interval for the CVT "filter". If its like other Honda transmissions
(yes they have screen / filters too but require transmission disassembly for access) then its is a true lifetime filter.

Curious, Dave my Factory Service manual doesn't have a section 14.

And if the Insight's CVT is anything like its predecessor then it's critically picky about any dirt or grit entering the system.
There's a pitot tube that reads fluid pressure as slung off the compression link belt. ONE piece of grit just the right size
lodging in this small hole and yurrr out :!: And fluid is continuously slung at this hole.

When opening the cover ( :?: ) for the "filter" you _MUST_ be _critically_ picky about letting any road grit or dirt of any
kind into the transmission.

Seems to me one better left alone.

HTH! :)

p.s. Resist, gotcha :!: :p (he would have "gotten" me too ;) )

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
And where did you read the word strainer in the link above :?: :?

Pessimism? Short sighted and well, OK if you must. But yours apparently distorts your ability to
read since this is not our first, second or even third exchange of this type, I've lost count myself.
Nor does it matter.

To each his own, but if you continue to twist the facts such that it distorts the quality of information
effectively making it useless or another member has to post to further clarify your insufficient one
then a deletion is much quicker and easier.

Participate to be of some benefit to the group, no problem. Even need to rarely vent an Insight
related frustration, OK too.

But your further postings that can not be considered a positive contribution (dissenting opinion can
be considered a contribution, up to a limit) due to omissions, distortions or hyper oversimplification
of fact will be deleted. :(

Am I angry ?, not at all. :) I've accepted the "job" as moderator to help make IC the best I know how to
do. This also means that there is some "work" involved such as this post vs. the 2 mouse clicks that your
deletion would have otherwise required. However, I am disappointed that I've not been able to get through
to you, Resist. :( And I know your the bigger looser in what your missing. :(

In each direction we look the universe is infinitely large or small, but the depth and breadth of the human
experience is finite. I understand the "pessimistic" viewpoint better that mere words would describe or
you would accept.

Resist wrote: "Resistance is futile." No Resist, _its_ futile.

Very Sincerely,

·
Registered
207 Posts
My factory service manual has 23 sections all total. The two pages in the CVT section show the fluid strainer. As for servicing the strainer, all the manual says is to be sure that the opening on the strainer isn't obstructed and to check and see if fresh fluid will flow freely through the strainer. There is no description of the filtering/straining media used. :? Like any other automatic trans. or transaxle, you have to remove the pan/sump in order to gain access to the strainer. The drain plug on the pan is magnetic, but I'm wondering if clutch dust from normal wear and tear has a tendency to get sucked up into the strainer media? I guess there's only one surefire way to find out, unfortunately. :cry:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm also confused as to how many Qts are needed for a refill. I believe the owners manual says 3.5 Qts. Not sure what service manual says.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My service manual calls for 3.5 qts. if you just drain the pan by removing the drain plug and 5.8 qts. if the CVT has been overhauled and contains no fluid. Also of interest is that my manual states that there is a filler plug on the side of the CVT housing where you add the new fluid. 8) I had no idea that filler hole was there. I've always just added new fluid through the dipstick tube and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm also confused as to how many Qts are needed for a refill. I believe the owners manual says 3.5 Qts. Not sure what service manual says.
3.5 is correct for a maintenance oil change, 5.8 for a disassembly repair total fill. Also, should you need to do what the owners & repair manuals call a "flush", that is perhaps remove an emergency fill of Dexron II or whatever, the mainatenance fill procedure need to be done 6 times, ie, you'll need to run nearly 20 qts of CVT oil through the system to ensure any significant remnant of the old fluid has been disolved to the point it's insignificant. At aroun $6.50 a quart, well, let's just say perhaps there are few if any "emergencies" that would warrant putting Dexron in the transmission.

In an earlier post I mentioned having to fill through the dipstick hole, which is incorrect. The fill hole is on the side of the transmission, similar to a manual trans. As another poster noted, it is very critical that no dirt or other crud is allowed to get through that hole when you're filling the trans. Clean the entire are thoroughly before opening the fill hole, and be certain to keep everything squeaky clean during the refill. Also, don't use any red shop rags or other linty cloths around the hole, use lint-free paper towels or shop towels only. That red lint gets into everything in an automatic and can wreak havoc on valve bodies, etc.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I noticed that the drain bolt under and on the side of the transmission easily fits a 3/8 socket drive wrench head into it. That makes for an easy way to get the bolt out, since it uses a round bolt head.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I changed my CVT fluid a few days ago to try to replace the ATF-Z1 fluid that Honda put in @ my 30K service. I had specifically asked them to use the CVT specific fluid but for some reason they did not. I currently have 41K miles. When I went to the dealer and asked for the CVT fluid, he had to look for a while to find the last 4 dusty Qts they had on the shelf. I paid $5.59 Qt for the P/N 08200-9006 CVT fluid.
The hardest part of the job was removing the drain plug. It seemed as though an ape with an air ratchet must have tightened it previously. Even with a 2 ft. piece of pipe on the 3/8 ratchet it wouldn't budge. The entire motor was flexing and I was afraid of snapping a motor mount. Finally after a couple whacks with a small mallet it broke loose. I drained out a little less than 3.5 Qts. of dark red fluid and replaced it with 3.5 Qts of a much clearer colored CVT fluid. Also replaced the crush washer ($1.75). Only driven it a couple days so it's hard to say if if I notice any difference. I'll probably do another drain/refill in another 10K to try to remove more of the CVT/ATF-Z1 mix left in the transmission.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts