Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Going to have a go at changing my CVT fluid after reading the info on here and seeing YouTube videos of it being done.
Ive got genuine Honda CVT fluid but I've had it sitting in my garage for two years does the fluid have a shelf life?

Thanks for any info

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I'm sure your oil is fine.

You change half the fluid at a time because the other half gets hung up in the transmission and doesn't drain. I think the manual says the change takes 3 litres but I have found it needs about 3 1/2.

If the fluid hasn't been changed in a long time you can remove the hose that goes to the external filter and, after reinstalling the drain plug and refilling, you can use the engine to pump out another couple of litres.

I'm going from my experience with the HCH but I think the both gen Insights are the same.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wouldn't worry about it. Especially if the seals are unbroken like S Keith said.

I've used fluid from unsealed containers that sat around for probably over 5 years. Not in the Insight, but on my Accord. Yea, apples to oranges, but didn't notice anything adverse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts