Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to change my oil, CVT fluid, and filters. My 2010 Insight has 12,372 miles on it. The CVT fluid on the dipstick appeared to be clear but I was more curious about the debris that might be on the mag plug and was wanting to change the filter. The last Honda dealer oil change was a few months ago and the ticker was showing 80%. But while I was under the car, I wanted to put in a quick drain valve, install Mobil1 oil, and a K&N oil filter. Yes, my entire project was completely unjustifiable, but I feel better and that's what counts.

After jacking and securing the car, I took off the quick disconnect panel which gave me access to oil drain, oil filter, and CVT filter. There is tiny quick disconnect panel to the left hand side of the pan for CVT fluid drain and is held on with 4 screws.

First I drained the CVT fluid. The drain plug has a recess that a 3/8 inch rachet fits into quite nicely. I still needed a cheater bar to get the thing out. With the plug out, the fluid was pulsing out in big gulps, so I pulled the dipstick out a bit to allow air in on top, and it flowed smoothly. I caught a sample of the fluid dripping out and found it to be a dark red/brown color, almost like Coca Cola or dark beer. I eventually compared it to a sample of new fluid which was a light red/orange color.

The magnet on the plug showed a small build up of particles less than 1/16 of an inch thick. Some it appeared to be chips or shavings of metal, but that is an optical illusion based on how magnets work. In reality, the debris on the plug was all very fine powdery metal. I changed the CVT filter. After cleaning the plug, I reinstalled it with a new washer and torqued to 36 foot pounds.

The CVT filter was not difficult but a little trickier than I first analyzed. There are two hose clamps and clamp that holds the filter steady. The filter clamp is two pieces. One piece is bolted to the engine and remains in place. The other piece has a bolt holding it onto the first piece. And that bolt is kinda close to the radiator fan cage so it takes a little bit of will power to get it off and back on. The two hose clamps are typical where you squeeze the ears to release the pressure and slide them away from the filter. It took a little more squeeze pressure than I was anticipating, but nothing bad. I had spare clamps, but did not use them. I had planned to break open the filter for show and tell. Alas, I have not cutting equipment at home and its a very hard metal housing that I can't just bend back and forth and break open. The filter has a seam around it and I made sure the new filter had the same orientation as the one I took off.

The oil change went pretty smooth except the filter and drain bolt were too tight.

I added 3 qts of fluid to the CVT and after a test drive it was a little low, so I added a half quart and it was over serviced. I think I'll leave it there for now.

I added 3 qts of Mobil1 oil plus a half quart and everything is fine.

I never had any problems with the engine or CVT before this project. I had no problems on the test drive. I do feel much better knowing that I have refreshed the CVT and took the overtorqued oil plug and filter off. I do plan to change the CVT and filter again after about another 10K. At that point, I will decide when my next change will be. Even though the fluid was dark, it was not muddy. The old fluid was probably still serviceable. The fluid looked fine on the dipstick but I think that if I waited until it showed a darkness color, it would be too late…for my satisfaction.

I have some pics that show the location of the filter, the dirty mag plug, clean mag plug, fluid colors, and the debris from the plug on a paper towel, where it turned into very fine particles that you can't even feel.

DSC01474.jpg

DSC01479.jpg

DSC01480.jpg

DSC01482.jpg

DSC01485.jpg

·
Registered
245 Posts
Which quick drain valve did you install?

Do you remember exactly which quick drain valve for the engine oil did you install?

I've had Fram quick drain valves installed on my Toyota Camry and Prius and on a Mazda MPV over the past 10 years and they work great! Have a couple more left (bought them as extras a few years back since for some reason Fram stopped making them).

Hope the ones for the Toyotas will work on the Honda (if the thread is the same - they should). But if they don't I'd like to be prepared so let me know what you used :-?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fumoto F106N. The N means it has a nipple on the exit where you can attach a hose. It is not required. If you got a F106 it would work also.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
On the 2nd gen you use the fill tube with 3.5 qts of cvt fluid. Make sure to wipe off the magnetic drain plug.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
649 Posts
i thought jayemtee traded in his insight 2 for a crz :confused:

anyways

nice pix, now i know where the drain plug is :)

gonna go loook under my car tm just to make sure its there :cool:

so you have to use a long funnel so ou can reach the auto trans hole when you get out the dip stick?
then add 3 and a half qts?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheesie, now that you know where the drain plug is, do you see the CVT filter in the picture?

·
Registered
649 Posts
no i dont :confused:
i see the drain plug but nothing else around it

i cant remmember exactly but i think u guys said its close to the radiator... i see the its hose but no filter looking think around it

maybe that black thing by the hose?

·
Registered
330 Posts
On the 2nd gen you use the fill tube with 3.5 qts of cvt fluid. Make sure to wipe off the magnetic drain plug.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Isn't it 3 qts of CVTF, 3.4 qts of motor oil?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
3 quarts of CVT fluid is not enough. Believe me. I changed mine about 2 months ago, bought 3, and then had to go back to the Honda dealer for the fourth.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could someone please specify the fluid type (Specifically) and the filter part number? Also, where to buy these items. I've got 40K on mine and I'm definately ready to change the fluid.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Any Honda dealer should be able to give you the right fluid and filter and if you ask, they can tell you the part numbers over the phone.

I would not bother with the filter. If it is anything like the metal mesh filters I've seen on other transmissions, it is not worth changing - it is there to catch very large pieces and you probably will never have such stuff in your transmission, save for a catastrophic failure or a repair (and even if you do have one or two pieces somehow, they will just stay there and not restrict flow of fluid). But I might be wrong as I have not seen this particular filter open.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine didn't come on at the 2 yr / 25k interval even though other service elements are highlighted normally. I was told by Honda to change it anyway (even on their service plan).

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check it. I went today and picked up Honda Genuine fluid and changed it. the existing was a little dark, not too bad. The lady from the parts department insisted that there is no filter so I need SOMEONE to give me the part number for that filter so next time I can shove it in her face... anyway, After 3.5 quarts I took it for a drive and TRIED to use the dip stick, but that will have to wait till it's cold because it's not reading anywhere near what it's supposed to be. Let me be clear, the first oil change was done by the dealer and they may or may not have changed the trans fluid at the first 12K. They did not write anything in the log... supposed to be maintained to keep the warranty.

ALSO, there is no SAE spec or fluid type specified from the honda product so I don't know what generic I can use in it's stead.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I recently changed my CVT fluid without the filter and it took exactly 3 quarts. I have extra but didn't have to use it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts