Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Insight owner here. Finally have the lifestyle where having one makes perfect sense, as I do a lot of solo driving with just myself, two dogs, and a folding bike. So of course I bought two -- a 63K-mile blue '01 CVT in pristine shape that I got for $3750, and a 151K mile silver '00 5-speed that I got for $600 with a salvage title that was advertised as "doesn't run", but it had been running before it was sitting on the lot for four months, so of course I got it started just fine by turning off the IMA battery and unplugging the computer. I suspect it just needs a grid charge, which I'll do when I tow it home, and a front bumper skin, which I'll need to find somewhere (any tips?). The CVT's IMA battery held steady at 180v after a grid charge, which makes me very happy, and the CVT runs and performs great after I changed the fluid (which was quite dark) with the real Honda stuff.

However, the CVT gear selector position lights light up briefly, just flashing when I move the gear selector, but don't stay lit. Oddly, at startup test, only the P, D, and S lights come on -- the R, N, and L lights DON'T come on. The S-mode light doesn't seem to come on at all when I press the S button. I haven't tested thoroughly enough to see if I can feel S-mode working to verify whether the button itself isn't doing anything, or whether it's just the dash light that's not behaving properly.

Possibly related: auto-stop isn't working, and it's certainly warm enough out that it should be. The temperature sensor was dangling loose and had fallen into the tray under the air conditioner fins behind the grille, so I pulled it out from there and plugged it into the place in the bumper where it clicks in. I verified using the climate control diagnostic that the outside air temperature is reporting 21C, which is correct. I haven't checked the brake switch or neutral switch. Could the neutral switch be the cause of all of these problems?

Here's a video showing exactly what's going on:
youtube.com/watch?v=rQjnCCHBf_A

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's over a year later, and no responses on this thread -- anybody got any ideas at all? I've determined that it WILL auto stop when I shift into Neutral at a stop light, and will stay in auto stop when I shift it back to Drive. It starts again when I let my foot off the brake, as it should.

This definitely seems to be some sort of shift sensor problem. I would try replacing the Neutral switch, but does that have anything to do with it? It starts just fine in Park.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Now that’s a strange one...
So, no auto stop in drive, only neutral?
I’m going to check on mine and I’ll get back. I think you may be on to something.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ok, so I confirmed in mine that, if I shift into neutral and brake to a stop, it will not auto stop. I can be in drive and brake to a stop and it will autostop, and then I can shift to neutral and it will stay there, but if yours will autostop in neutral, then that’s weird.
I’m wondering if you can s-l-o-w-l-y move your shifter and find a place “between” indicated gears where the gauge would actually stay lit. If so, I’m pretty sure some part of the shifter is just out of alignment. Must not be the actual cable, or the transmission would be misbehaving, right?
I’m GUESSING there’s some kind of position sensor in there that lights up the dash, and tells the computer it’s OK to autostop.

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
Have a look in the online workshop manual here and try and test the gear position/neutral switch thingy.
It may be an adjustment issue or you simple need a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m wondering if you can s-l-o-w-l-y move your shifter and find a place “between” indicated gears where the gauge would actually stay lit. If so, I’m pretty sure some part of the shifter is just out of alignment. Must not be the actual cable, or the transmission would be misbehaving, right?
Yes, I do believe this is the case, though I haven't found a position that I can "keep" it in where it will light up more than just momentarily. But if I come to a full stop (or just below 5mph), in Drive, and then SLIGHTLY shift the selector towards Neutral, it will auto stop. I'll check the exact conditions on this in the morning. This would indicate that the problem is that the auto-stop routine simply doesn't know that the car is actually in D, and as soon as I shift into N with my foot on the brake, the D indicator lights up momentarily as you see in the video, and the engine auto-stops.

Have a look in the online workshop manual here and try and test the gear position/neutral switch thingy.
It may be an adjustment issue or you simple need a new one.
Thanks! I will give this a shot!

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
I'm presuming you have done the normal engine, transmission, and battery earth leads in the engine bay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys nailed it. I can hold it so that it lights up steadily in "D" or "N" or whatever if I hold the gear selector in a specific very narrow position right ABOVE the detent point. And when held in "D", I can actually get the "sport" mode to work, too! I am feeling pretty much 100% confident that adjusting the gear position adjustment per the workshop manual is going to fix it. I will report back when I've done so.

THANKS!

·
Registered
460 Posts
We’ll keep our fingers crossed! Peter does bring up a great thing to check while you rummage around. Just a good “once in a while” to do, no matter what. Good luck!

Reactions: pocky
1 - 9 of 9 Posts