Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2002 CVT with 2500 miles. It makes this high pitched sound kinda like a mini jet engine or RC car. Does anyone know what it is? I have a 2001 MT that has never made that sound so I'm thinking it could be the transmission.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
My first reaction was to assume it was the assist, which I hear (although very faintly) as you described... but if your MT doesn't also make the noise, that doesn't make sense. By the way, the Toyota Prius also makes this sound when the electric motor is providing power, so this is really the most logical explanation.
Benjamin

·
Registered
113 Posts
it most likely is the CVT

while i don't hear it during normal driving, if i come to a hill and leave my foot still, the CVT will adjust for higher RPMs and then i can hear a whine.

also if i'm flooring it/in S mode the whine will appear. i don't think it's a bad whine, but if it does get louder i may have it looked at

someone on the yahoo groups had the same problem, but really loud. i believe they just replaced the entire transmission (and had it sent back to honda to look at)

if it happens to your wife's car all the time (not just during a power demand)- but is still pretty quiet - i would give it more time.
if it gets louder, then i would say take it in

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think I know what your'e talking about

I believe I hear what you hear in my '03 insight. It's apparently normal. At first I thought the whirring noise was the electric engine, but I checked the gauge and whenever I hear this noise the assist isn't on, so it's not that. I think it's just how the CVT does thing. I've noticed this when accelerating very rapidly and also whenever decelerating kind of rapidly. My second best guess is it's electrical noise coming through the speakers, if that's the case something isn't grounded right.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your thoughts about the high pitched sound. I will do some investigating over the weekend to see if I can pin it down further. I'm really glad I found this forum because I was starting to really drive my friends crazy always talking about my wife's and my Insights (they're jealous of course).

·
Registered
102 Posts
That normal high pitched wine suddenly increased 10x while driving. I turned off the radio and tried to figure out why but couldn't. I stopped at a stop light and the idle stop activated and when the car re-started when I let go of the brake everything was fine again.

I thought it was a fluke but it occured again a couple of days ago. Nothing on the dash, no malfunction lights, service lights, car's not overheating, it's all normal, I even tried to floor it to see if the assist came on and if it increased the noise, the assist helped out like normal w/ no increase in nosie. Whatever it is, it's not the electric motor. Maybe a bad ground or something. W/o a light I can't recreate the problem for the dealer and they'll think I'm nuts. But I have to try, maybe this week I'll bring it to the dealer.

If your car had this same problem except it's always a problem, I could see how it would be annoying. I've gotten semi-used to the low pitched whine but for it to get louder and stay that way would annoy me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
here's something for you guys to try
i suggest doing it when no one is behind you:
at about 40mph, before you want to stop, put the car in "L"
this will put your RPM's and transmission into a low gear and slow down the car

you should be able to hear the whine then. youll also hear your engine, but try to listen for the whine.
if it IS the same whine as those wierd experiences, then i would say it's okay, and it's just the CVT

but if it does get louder, then i'd still take it in

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took my wife's car in for the dealer to check out. They heard the sound (which was encouraging because like pet tricks, cars seldom do you want for the dealer). They couldn't figure it out but said that they want to schedule to have it come in next time the regional Honda service expert is in. Not sure who this guy is, maybe someone from Honda America. I haven't been able to get a better sense of when it happens, though it seems to be the majority of the time. I don't drive it much as my wife can't swap cars with me and drive my MT.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I hear it in my '03 as well. It hasn't gotten any louder yet, and is only there when I listen for it. I assumed it was the elctric motor helping or the tranny, but I wasn't concerned.................... until now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Apparently it's the noise the CVT transmission makes. That's what others here have said anyway. I'll ask my dealer about it when I bring it in for them to fix the air dam's and the sqeaking.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My whine is getting louder.... I think. Or maybe I am just listening for it more often. Is there any answers to this problem (if it is a problem) yet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts