Honda Insight Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I hear a lot of different MPG results from this swap, I heard 70s 90s with A/C on and regen at the same time and 100 mpg!

Is that all from just swapping out the US ECU to a Lean Burn JDM ECU system?

I mean what does these CVT Japaneses cars get in their country as far as MPG, sounds like as much as the MT cars do?

It's seems like the way to go if it actaully works as some have posted it does =)
First, I do have an extra harness, PM me you snail mail address and I'll send it to you.
Second there are a number of pin changes on the ECU as detailed in this thread or another one on this conversion.

Third the harness hook-up is the easiest part with no modifications.

Forth, you should expect to get no better mileage than a MT model if that good. It is no magic bullet, it just adds lean burn. Some on this forum have become adept at staying in lean burn for hours at freeway speeds. It takes a lot of practice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First, I do have an extra harness, PM me you snail mail address and I'll send it to you.
Second there are a number of pin changes on the ECU as detailed in this thread or another one on this conversion.

Third the harness hook-up is the easiest part with no modifications.

Forth, you should expect to get no better mileage than a MT model if that good. It is no magic bullet, it just adds lean burn. Some on this forum have become adept at staying in lean burn for hours at freeway speeds. It takes a lot of practice.
Well if I can get closer to what a MT car gets then that's way better than a Standard US CVT car gets without Lean Burn...

[email protected] is my Email and thank you.

By the way I'm Jeff nice to meet you =)

·
Registered
20 Posts
100 plus mpg!!!

Mine is about 14.3, can drop as low as 13 something when I get on it. Goes in to Lean Burn as low as 10mph up to 75 mph (harder at this speed)

Happiness is 65 mph, cruise control, Lean Burn, 100 plus mpg, 18 bars IMA, and 2 or 3 bars of regin all at once.

WOW
Are you actually getting 100 plus mpg 18 bars IMA, and 2 or 3 bars of regin all at once? With the JDM ECU alone or with other mods?

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
My wife drives this car, and doesn't make any attempt to hypermile, but neither of us have seem anywhere near these numbers. Especially if it is for a tank. Don't expect a miracle, just an improvement.

Sam

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife drives this car, and doesn't make any attempt to hypermile, but neither of us have seem anywhere near these numbers. Especially if it is for a tank. Don't expect a miracle, just an improvement.

Sam
What do you get on average? I assume yours in a CVT with the Lean Burn swap?

J

·
Registered
20 Posts
MPG Lean Burn 2000 to 2004 J51

Sam
What MPG do you get with your 2003 Lean burn CVT?

=)

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
It's my wife's car, and I don't make her track it in Fuelly, but she usually sees 50-60. Mostly stop and go around town. On the highway lean burn drops out around 67MPH, so above that it's a normal CVT Insight.

Sam

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's my wife's car, and I don't make her track it in Fuelly, but she usually sees 50-60. Mostly stop and go around town. On the highway lean burn drops out around 67MPH, so above that it's a normal CVT Insight.

Sam
Heck I'm already getting that 50s to mid 60s now without Lean Burn!
But I've seen a few that did this conversion saying they've gotten 75 to 100 MPG but no one has said it was just this LB swap or with other mods combined?!?!?!?

From what i've read, the JDM CVTs had the same fuel injectors and higher compression at 10.8 compared to 10.3 ect

With that said it looks to be the TRICK to getting better MPG so that's why It peaked my interest, if I can get closer to what a M/Ts Insight gets that's a good start =)

Can anyone recommend a great IMA battery? Green Tech? BumbleBee? I saw a post where this guy bought a Green Tech and said the service was bad? and Another guy told me he had 6 IMA batteries in 4 years from Green Tech, they guaranteed the battery with a 4 year warranty but not the install so they charged him $500 each time Ouch!

Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
10-15 MPG improvement

I recently drove my wife's lean burn CVT 600 miles to Las Vegas. I did the same trip a year ago without lean burn. Last year the mileage with this car on long trips was 50-55. Drop into the 40s if I pushed it hard or had a headwind. This is over 4,000 miles of highway trips.

This year, same car, same trip, same load (2 people plus luggage) every tank was around 65. One 100 mile stretch was 74.9. I wasn't hypermiling. Speed 65-75, moderate AC use.

I wish I had good before/after mileage records, but I don't. My wife gases it up mostly, and she watches what she gets (because she knows I'm going to ask) but she doesn't write anything down or enter it into Fuelly.

Overall I feel that the conversion is worth 10-15 MPG.

I still have the battery issue. It stays charged well on the highway, but the SOC can get and stay low around town with lot of hill climbing. It just drains aggressively and than takes forever to regen.

Sam
So 10-15 MPG Are Nice gains even still :)

J

121 - 131 of 131 Posts
About this Discussion
130 Replies
23 Participants
[email protected]
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing