Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a daft question.

Those who read my posts over the last couple of years about the rally car project may remember that we changed from a manual to a CVT car because the gearing of the manual was far too tall for the tight and twisty rally stages we use.

Looking at the specs recently I realised that if we could fit the final drive from a CVT to a manual it would give almost perfect ratio spread for what we need and circa 100mph at 6000rpm in 5th. Does anyone know whether the final drive gears are interchangable?

I might be the best qualified person to answer my own question as I have both manual and CVT cars but it would require taking both transmissions apart to have a look at the oily bits. If anyone has looked inside both transmission types or has photos of the final drive gears of a CVT it would be very helpful.

Meanwhile the car won its class (A)again on round 1 of the 2007 F1000 championship and is now nearly on the pace of the fastest classB cars on a smooth circuit. A Google search of Oaktec Hybrid Rally car will give lots more info.

Latest mods are a rear anti-roll bar (sway bar) which allows us to revert to softer rear springs to give the dampers a chance, and PIMA which is great for the job.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Given that the final drive ratio is "set" by the difference between the ring and pinion gears, and that the pinion gear in an MT (most Hondas, Insight included) is a machined part of the countershaft, I don't see how such a "swap" is possible.

HTH! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts