Honda Insight Forum banner

CVT not moving or making any odd noises in gears

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  retepsnikrep 
#1 ·
2002 insight Driving down the road got about 1,000 feet. Acted like it went into neutral. Goes into park and locks like normal. In all the other gears the shifter will move into but it has no affect on the transmission or engine load, no abnormal noise . Anyone know what this could be? I did a quick search, but need to know where to start as this is my work car. Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
good point , I was thinking about broken belt but stripped splines also makes since. Thinking back there may have been a small squeaking or squealing noise prior to stopping. not loud at all. Thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know when i take it apart. How much does a used cvt typically run? Do you have any idea?

#6 ·
I have a CVT Insight and bought a used spare flywheel/flex plate (with teeth) from a wrecked Gen 2 Insight (car-part.com). I haven't installed one on a Gen 1 yet, but if you search, you'll find info about that. The flexplate from a Gen 2 is generally less $$ and is supposed to fit.

#9 · (Edited)
Supposed/Maybe this will help:

#10 ·
Or if he doesn't like Willy's posts...here's another:

#11 ·
Just got the transmission out tonight. Indeed it does have stripped out flywheel splines. We have a spare flywheel to use, can we use any high temp grease and just coat the spline and pack the end of it? I really appreciate the feedback sorry I didn't get back earlier been concentrating on getting it out in evenings after work. You guys are great!

#12 ·
I understand the Honda kit for this supplies a measured quantity of grease and there should be a little o-ring on the shaft that retains the grease in the spline/flywheel interface area.

So you must use the right quantity of grease and fit the correct o-ring to keep it in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.