Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted much on the forums as I have been busy restoring Squiggles. Now she is done. I will share my experience's as I go but this one might save another from the scrap heap.

Woke up 6 months ago and as usual got into my Squig and put her in reverse and SCREECH! WT%:-?. Put it in Drive Screech :-?. Went away on the highways but come back at slow speeds. New CVT?

I am aware of advertising on the forum so I will not name the product but I added a syringe full of the stuff (might give you clue) and it got better. As in the screeching would come and go. Added another and after 56 miles on the highway it was GONE. Since then I have done 20 thousand plus and decided to drain the tranny. It was filthy in the pan. Magnets looked like porcupine's.

Cleaned, refilled and since the product said it was good for 60K, Off I went. No problems since?

If the moderator would allow me to post the product in question, I will. Not until then :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Interesting. Would be good to know the "product".

I don't recall exact mileage from mntc book, each 30 or 35k miles: cvt fluid change and new filters, two of them; part #10 here, part #2 here. Honda name brand cvt fluid always strongly recommended. The 2nd part and the fluid are pricey, but cheaper than a new tranny.

Material on your magnet brings into question the condition of the steel belt.

EDIT: just noticed your 'parts' thread. How much cheaper were the filter & strainer compared to Majestic referenced above ?

·
Super Moderator
5,508 Posts
Haven't posted much on the forums as I have been busy restoring Squiggles. Now she is done. I will share my experience's as I go but this one might save another from the scrap heap.

Woke up 6 months ago and as usual got into my Squig and put her in reverse and SCREECH! WT%:-?. Put it in Drive Screech :-?. Went away on the highways but come back at slow speeds. New CVT?

I am aware of advertising on the forum so I will not name the product but I added a syringe full of the stuff (might give you clue) and it got better. As in the screeching would come and go. Added another and after 56 miles on the highway it was GONE. Since then I have done 20 thousand plus and decided to drain the tranny. It was filthy in the pan. Magnets looked like porcupine's.

Cleaned, refilled and since the product said it was good for 60K, Off I went. No problems since?

If the moderator would allow me to post the product in question, I will. Not until then :rolleyes:
Well, I'm a Moderator and I certainly don't have a problem with this. I don't see how informing us of a product that worked well for you could be considered "advertising." It's not like you're trying to sell us something. We help each other with things like this all the time. We need to do all we can to keep these little gems alive! (Look at all the brand names in my signature. I don't think I'm "advertising" anything.)

Sam

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Is this a product you sell or in any way benefit from it? If not, I don't see why it would be an issue. I endorse the Turnigy Reaktor 300W charger like a starstruck fanboi.

HOWEVER, the first step of any CVT issue is to replace the fluid. IMHO, it should be replaced every other oil change (about 15K miles).

They way I read it:

Problem
Mystery oil added.
Less problem
More mystery oil added.
No Problem
Drive a bunch
Drain, clean and fill (no mystery oil)
No problem

I would have been curious to see what the outcome would have been if you just drained, cleaned and flushed.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
CVT additive used

Sorry for the delay...didn't see the reply's...give me a few...
Wondering when I am going to hear that noise again though.

I used 2 tubes of this stuff XADO EX120 for automatic transmissions. Did some research before purchasing. Some refer to it as another 'Snake product' but been used by the Russians for decades. Had no alternative but to try it.
This stuff did the trick to my transmission. It comes with a long tube that you attach to the syringe. Be careful not to let it come off when you pull it out of the dipstick tube. Also Remove the tube and suck air into the syringe to get the last bit out of the long tube.

Just Drive!

I hope this works for you as it did for me. ;)

I am an engine additive fan but tried them all, remember Slick 50?...I only stick to Marvels Mystery Oil, 500 miles before oil changes every 20K when I adjust the rockers. Please don't use Marvels Mystery Oil in your CVT!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone trid it yet?

I have heard of this issue for some time.
Just want to see if anyone has added this stuff like I did. It works!
Even the reverse shudder had gone.

Anyone?

I will buy it for you myself if I have too!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.