Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to the trainer of Master Technicians at Honda the other day about low/uneven revs during cold idle in Drive and slight delay in pick up by my CVT transmission from standstill. He asked if I had changed my 12V battery recently which I had. He explained that there is the equivalent of a 'slip clutch' in CVT transmission which prevents the engine stalling when at standstill. However the bite point is 'learnt' by the CVT and sometimes needs to be reset when you disconnect the 12V. Otherwise (possibly like me) the 'slip clutch' is too firm and drags the engine revs down. He showed me the Honda techncians manual and the reset procedure is:

1. Get engine operating temperature up to normal (suggest driving to a suitable location to carry out step 4).

2. Disconnect 12V battery for at least 5 seconds to clear down any existing learnt memory (on an Insight this will also cause a recalibration).

3. Reconnect 12V battery, start up engine and switch on headlights.

4. Accelerate smoothly up to exactly 37mph then decelerate (foot off accelerator but not using brake) for at least 5 seconds. The technician suggested it might be beneficial to do this on an upward slope to help get a significant difference in MAP readings.

5. The bite point on your CVT should be re-learnt.

I have yet to try this but thought I would share.

·
Registered
113 Posts
"Accelerate smoothly up to exactly 37mph then decelerate (not using brake) for at least 5 seconds."

do you simply mean "let off the gas pedal a little" or "let off the gas pedal completely"?

i think i'll try this, i've been getting some iffy behavior too. thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I meant foot off the accelerator completely; I will edit the above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have that problem too

I've been putting up with this behavior of clutch slipping in my CVT since I bought it used two year ago. Does it feel like the clutch is struggling to catch on and the car jerks a little right before the car starts to move?

I will try this clutch reset procedure and see if it works.

I also have the lurging problem at constant speed that people are talking about, which I have always link these problem together but based on what I'm reading they are two separate problems.

I'll try both the clutch reset and clean EGR valve and see if it solves both my problem. Other suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue1 did the procedure work?

Please let me know if the procvedure worked I will try it my self if it did.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
CVT slip clutch procedure

I have not performed the proceedure but I did disconnect my battery to work on a fuse terminal and the SRC and engine problem lights had to be reset at the "inspection" price of $80. Does anyone know how to reset the lights? You may want to expect this problem if you're doing it yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did the slip clutch reset procedure this morning on the way to work.

Simple and easy to do and have not had an re occurrence of my transmission stuttering problem in the 15 miles since. The proof will be when I start it up cold tonight and tomorow morning.

This post is just to indicate that I have now warning lights lit as a result of performing the procedure.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
rvivian said:
This post is just to indicate that I have now warning lights lit as a result of performing the procedure.
That does seem to make sense that it would be related to just this procedure since other people have disconnected the battery before including myself. What warning lights do you have?

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
16 Posts
No warning lights!!

Hi Joe CVT -

Thanks for pointing out the typo.

I was trying to convey that I did not get any warning lights as a result of the procedure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Warning lights with battery disconnect.

Last time I disconnected my battery while installing a cruise control I had to have my computer reset. Anyone else have the same problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Warning light from battery disconnect.

If anyone knows which fuse/circuit feeds the computer? Maybe all but that one could be disconnected or a wire could keep the computer circuit live.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rvivian said:
Did the slip clutch reset procedure this morning on the way to work.

Simple and easy to do and have not had an re occurrence of my transmission stuttering problem in the 15 miles since. The proof will be when I start it up cold tonight and tomorow morning.
Getting away from the distraction of the warning lights, I would be interested to hear from rvivian how your clutch reset worked out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Slip clutch reset report

Citrus -

I'm now on my second day after the slip clutch reset. With no warning lights lit.

Had no indication of a transmission problem yesterday. I drove 135 miles this morning without any (well maybe a tiny bit because I'm sensitized to it now) indication of a transmission problem. Averaged 55.6 mpg for the trip.

Since the symptom only occurs when starting up the car when cold it will take a bit longer to see if it is OK. So far so good!!

I still need to address flushing the transmission with CVT fluid if I can find someplace to buy it. There are several Honda dealerships in town other than Beaverton Honda, but I'd prefer to find another source all together.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up rvivan. But your replies are now becoming fragmented between this thread and your original thread here:

CVT Transmission issues -- any ideas?
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6357

Being a 5 speed'r myself my interest is only academic. But I'm sure there are many CVT'rs reading whose interest is greater.

PLEASE don't multipost. And PLEASE keep the group informed in your original thread (linked) above.

Sincerely,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts