Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to the trainer of Master Technicians at Honda the other day about low/uneven revs during cold idle in Drive and slight delay in pick up by my CVT transmission from standstill. He asked if I had changed my 12V battery recently which I had. He explained that there is the equivalent of a 'slip clutch' in CVT transmission which prevents the engine stalling when at standstill. However the bite point is 'learnt' by the CVT and sometimes needs to be reset when you disconnect the 12V. Otherwise (possibly like me) the 'slip clutch' is too firm and drags the engine revs down. He showed me the Honda techncians manual and the reset procedure is:

1. Get engine operating temperature up to normal (suggest driving to a suitable location to carry out step 4).

2. Disconnect 12V battery for at least 5 seconds to clear down any existing learnt memory (on an Insight this will also cause a recalibration).

3. Reconnect 12V battery, start up engine and switch on headlights.

4. Accelerate smoothly up to exactly 37mph then decelerate (foot off accelerator but not using brake) for at least 5 seconds. The technician suggested it might be beneficial to do this on an upward slope to help get a significant difference in MAP readings.

5. The bite point on your CVT should be re-learnt.

I have yet to try this but thought I would share.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I meant foot off the accelerator completely; I will edit the above.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rvivian said:
Did the slip clutch reset procedure this morning on the way to work.

Simple and easy to do and have not had an re occurrence of my transmission stuttering problem in the 15 miles since. The proof will be when I start it up cold tonight and tomorow morning.
Getting away from the distraction of the warning lights, I would be interested to hear from rvivian how your clutch reset worked out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.