Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever attempted to swap the crz 6 speed manual instead of the cvt in the i2?

I know the IMA is the same for both. Addind a clutch pedal with a master and slave is not too hard. I guess the crz is a cable shifter assembly (once again this is not too hard). Finding that transmission with the flywheel/clutch and etc is easy with the number of crz sold.

I was wondering if the ecu setup was similar between the 2 cars (i2 and crz) and is there a cvt ecu or its all togheter in the same ecu?

Currently i'm building an ecomod civic Eg but.I'm getting interested in owning a i2 but i'd like a manual setup.

So if anybody has info. Post :)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Im sure with a crz drivetrain it should be easy. I got a good doaner car to start with. Where in the world are you located? Mines needs an engine and some body work. Just final drive will be higher vs cvt, so mpg maybe be any better. Plus the crz engine is .2 bigger.

Im selling my gen 2 in central VA. Had it on ebay for 4,500.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've often wondered the same.
When I asked this question on a gen i cvt I got the it's impossible answer.
I then met someone who did it and it just disabled the ima to a point and caused a cel.

So I guess if you can locate a gen ii disconnect all the sensor wires to the xmsn and see if you can still rev the engine.

If you can it will likely work after after you fab mounts and add a clutch cable.

To be honest I don't own a gen ii because there wasn't an mt option

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting... i learned a new "word" XMSN and also thanks the offer Cobb but I'm way too far... East Canuckland.

As for the CVT to 6 Speed; I know my current car is older and the whole wiring thing is easier but i'll be using a ECU that is normally linked to a CVT TCM and you there is no check engine from missing the CVT TCM (there is already an example on youtube)

The setup is a eg sedan with a d15b7 with a 3stage vtec head (d15z7) running a P2J-J62

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I think that maybe my project for 2017. Find a crz manual that was rear ended or buy a front clip and switch over the shifter, clutch, engine, ima and tranny, axles, etc that fit. I would use the gen 2 head and ecu. I think as far as the cvt is concern you will just get a blinking D on the dash the ima and other stuff will still work. Ill get a machine shop to go through the engine and head and bump the CR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts