Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to burp cooling system with a $1 funnel and a hose and got burned with it spitting hot coolant back at me
Temp gauge normal and no hot air put of vent so I thought it was heater core. I got back from somewhere and took it off the ramps a few minutes running
Went to shut it off and heat gauge is way up and the heater is blowing hot air, so it is not the heater core.
Maybe I will put the old thermostat back in?
I dropped the pan and lots small stuff on the magnet and drain plug. Glad I dropped it
Filter way dirty. Fluid may never have been changed.i want to join sams club for those $380 set of 92s.
I took the Mt down to see my niece and her family near menominie as they were traveling back to ca
In a hurry and went off a curb; now no power passenger. Fuse or broken wire? Good to meet the grand nephews. Youngest one said you are old are you gonna die?
I told them all. I was happy to meet me cause qien sabe?
One more plug for WOJB.ORG OUT OF LCO RESERVE WI 88.9 FM
E LECTIC MONDAYS THE BLUES TUESDAY BIG DRUM TRADITIONAL SATURDAYS HONKEYTONK SUNDAYS BIG BAND. WOW!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Tried to burp cooling system with a $1 funnel and a hose and got burned with it spitting hot coolant back at me
This is pretty much exactly what happened to me when I was bleeding the air from a car that had a serious overheating problem. Trapped air expands rapidly and blows the coolant out before the air can reach the port.

When this started happening I quickly shut down the car which caused the air to immediately cool and suck the coolant in quickly enough that I had trouble keeping up with it.

Imagine air trapped in a glass upside down in a bucket of water. Heating the air can double its volume and when heated quickly it will increase in volume quickly. If the bucket is full, water is going to splash out of the sides of the bucket until the air bubble reaches the top. The hot air still takes up the entire volume of the glass even though some of it was released. However, when the air remaining in the glass cools, it shrinks in volume. Since some of the air is gone, that space is new replaced by water and the amount of air trapped in the glass is less. (I like to rinse milk cartons with very hot water and then seal them and watch them shrink as the air inside cools and contracts.)

I had to repeat this game three or four times before enough air was left the trapped areas that it stopped overflowing and was just bubbling and permitted adding coolant without having to rush to shut down the engine.

I don't think it's mentioned enough how hot coolant can burn your skin through your clothes or burn your hands, face or eyes.

Thus I would not recommend that you go through this again, but that you take it to a small local shop you trust and ask them to finish bleeding out the air.

Temp gauge normal and no hot air put of vent so I thought it was heater core. I got back from somewhere and took it off the ramps a few minutes running
Went to shut it off and heat gauge is way up and the heater is blowing hot air, so it is not the heater core.
This tells me that you assumed (naturally) that the coolant coming out meant that it was full of coolant. In fact, it sounds like you still have a lot of trapped air in the system, as described above.

I also took out the thermostat even though I knew it was new and tested it in a pot of boiling water side by side with a brand new one, and it was fine. The problem was a tube that attached to the overflow tank cap had fallen off and was causing air to get drawn into the system when the engine was cooling after having forced air out when the engine was hot.

Others have reported radiator blockages that were not apparent until they replace the radiator and tore the old one apart and saw the blockage first hand.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am trying a larger funnel and hose and wire it to the hood latch so I am out of harms way. The OEM thermos was heavy duty compared to the replacement.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I don't think it had an overhearing problem. It was sitting for 4 years and was low from sitting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts