Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 430k mile car unknown history. Replaced flywheel and drained fluid. Fluid looks as though it was red and old. New correct fluid and we have movement. Do not have more than simple OBD2 scanner, so recommendations on scanner. In the meantime: transmission will ‘grab hold’ between 500 and 1000 rpm, jerky and rough. Start clutch and/ or a drive sensor? Cannot drive to get diagnosed, so the jumper and blink light system would suffice? Many thanks!
Ps— have Mac system, was able to download manual via the Google docs link. Walked me through the flywheel replacement.

·
7,090 Posts
Oh my, that's some nasty fluid.

I am not a CVT expert at all, so take this with a grain of salt, but start clutch sounds like a good place to start to me.

Why did you need to replace the flywheel?

·
Administrator
11,010 Posts
Replace fluid and all CVT filters, then do the start clutch and coast down setup procedures...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, cart and horse sequence. Thought it might only be flywheel spline, and yes it was rusted and dry and toothless. But, cvt has issues too. The clutch grabs just as the auto off goes back on. Then loses its grip, and a growl begins in tune w/ rpm.Wish I had a good scan tool to better define the problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am more familiar with setting points and tuning carburetors than analyzing a hybrid. So, will do blink testing tomorrow, as I learn my way forward, to 18 yrs ago. Thanks in advance to those that have posted their teachings. I really want this car to be a modern museum piece, a statement to what is possible in the world of cars and enthusiasts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s what I found w/ jumper in place—ABS light is only one that blinks. 16, 54 and 61. When OBD2 reader is later plugged in, CEL blinks 5x then out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It does sound like the clutch could be in the wrong position. The start clutch relearn procedure in SCS mode might cure that. There's details how to that in this thread: 2003 Honda insight CVT surges

You'll need a paperclip or piece of thin stiff wire to short between pins 4 and 9 in the ODBII connector.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the drill, got to the solid green light. Repeated several times, it always became flashing green after 1 minute. Improved reverse some, but forward no improvement. Will not move except minor grab jerks below 1,000 rpm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There’s the clutch burnish you can try too. Handbrake on, press and hold footbrake firmly and don’t let off until finished, put into drive, press accelerator to the floor. Revs should rise to about 3000rpm. Hold revs for 3-5 seconds and let off the accelerator. Sounds brutal but it’s an official Honda procedure and knocks the glaze off the clutch.

You might want to do it first in D, then once in R and then in D again. Take it out for a light drive and see if it’s any better.

Did you get any codes on the ODBII reader? I have a very cheap basic reader but it still reads the codes. It’s only the blink codes it can’t do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No lights or codes other than ABS and a #2 cylinder engine miss above 2,500 rpm (which I already knew about).
The transmission started a pretty hard internal rattle after the calibration drill. Will try the hard burnish— what the hey, nothing to lose. It’s yard art now anyway.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did the burnishing. Revs went easily passed 3k to 5 k, not much resistance or grab. The rattle got worse, still no mobility—so it might be time to give the cvt the last rites. It can go proudly, with 430k miles accomplished.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I mean, it might just want a new CVT belt but you’d have to pull it apart to find out. At 430k I feel like it must be saved!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the encouragement! We will see what develops, and yes I thoroughly appreciate the car’s milestone status. Is there anyone in the PNW that can help, and/or point me toward skilled assistance w/ the internals?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spent some time this am reading a lengthy post “Does anyone rebuild the Cvt’s?” Excellent info. I will research more, and get back here with some expanded learning.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Spent some time this am reading a lengthy post “Does anyone rebuild the Cvt’s?” Excellent info. I will research more, and get back here with some expanded learning.
I so depend upon Scott at Jue Motors. I'd either drive down and have him DX it for a new one or have it replaced with one of his rebuilds and send him the old one to get back the core charge. I really like the idea that it was rebuilt right. I am kind of funny that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts