Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Insight: D16Z6, turbo'ed
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I figured it was time to start a build thread. Like many others, I know this isn't the standard path on this forum, but having an online journal of progress is always a good thing that could help others in the future.

Back story: I purchased this Blue 2004 CVT in December, with it needing a couple things, brake line, front brakes, etc. After a freshening up, it lasted 400 miles before the IMA battery started to have issues, and within another 1000 miles, the CVT decided 2020 wasn't it's year....

So, March 31st is the day I pulled out the stock engine and trans, and started the D swap. I was given a running/driving 1999 Civic LX for free, so that is how it started! Made some terrible engine mounts, but couldn't get the wiring figured out. So, when I found a 1993 Civic that had been hit, for $300, I snatched it up! D16Z6, 175K miles, engine ran really smooth.

So I pulled the motor, trans, and the entire wiring harness, including ignition cylinder, gauges, fuse boxes, all of it. Hooked up power and ground to it with the engine in the Insight, and she fired right up! So, even still, my insight has two ignition cylinders, two gauge clusters, and two interior fuse boxes! Sloppy! I'm working on this, obviously.

So, on to axles. I had followed another Insighter that put a D16 into his Insight, and used CRX HF axles. So I bought them, and had to modify the stock hubs quite a bit to get the outer CV joint to fit. Finally get it out on a test drive, and holy shaking car batman! The axles were just a bit too long, so on the search I went for ones that would work. After searching, I found that 1984 Civic axles were a little bit shorter than the CRX HF axles, so rock auto got me a set for just under $100. Hard to argue with that! When I put those axles in, the passenger side worked perfect, but the driver's side inner CV cup was shorter than the factory D16 one, by over a half inch, so the C-clip on the splines couldn't even engage. I don't know if that is a difference in the 1984 axle, or if the aftermarket company put the wrong inner CV cup on. It was identical to the passenger side inner CV cup, so I think it was an error. I simply pulled the stock civic inner CV cup off the old axle and put in on the new axle, and all is good!

So, I have been driving this car a little bit here and there, and have put about 300 miles on it, and it's doing good for the most part. I have many small things that need to get fixed, and I will work on them as time allows.

Many Videos and pics to follow! She leaves 11's for days!

So on to my current problems: The one I want to fix first, is the power steering. Currently it is not working. The module is plugged in, but it's as if it's not even there. I looked for a ground strap on the rack itself, but couldn't find one. I have heard that is an issue with these cars.

Sorry for the long read, hopefully you can find this process enjoyable! Thanks for looking,

John

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some random pics.

This is the difference between the 1984 civic axle inner CV cup and the 1993 civic inner CV cup. The rusty one is the proper length.

Open diff, but I have yet to leave a 1 tire fire. Differential must be a well balanced one!

The front bumper has been modified to clear the intercooler I will be using. Radiator is an all aluminum unit meant for a Mk1 Volkswagen golf.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,695 Posts
If you are going to post random pictures, maybe indicate what they represent/are for clarity.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will Do! I'm not much of a picture guy, so my pictures and videos will be quite random, because I almost always forget to document with photos...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is another pic, I mounted the intercooler to the front bumper, I hole sawed two holes through the top two layers of aluminum, then drilled a smaller mounting hole through the bottom layer as the mounting hole. Don't mind the wiring nightmare in the engine bay. It's in a complete stage of disarray!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,695 Posts
Thank you for the pics! and narrative.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to the track tonight, as I needed a baseline for the D16. Sadly, it only ran [email protected] My little 185 wide street tires made sure I couldn't hit 14's, ha ha. My guess is the engine isn't running optimally either. I don't know that I will try to figure any of that out now though, as I may just start working on the turbo setup. Here are my two timeslips: car # 2829

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what I'm doing with this car, that would just be a large waste of money. I'll probably hook up the wideband, and go from there, but a dyno is out of the question. If anything, I'd tune it and go to the track one more time when I'm done. But that probably won't happen either, lol

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Subscribed! I've been following your posts on Facebook as well.

I'm mostly interested in your mounts and wiring.

What do you think is wrong with your power steering? Did you pull any fuses related to it? Even if it isn't getting a VSS signal, it should still assist as if the car is stationary.

What's the purpose of the second cluster? I'd wager much of the signaling is the same.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mounts are completely custom, and I will be remaking them when I can get a friend to help with the welding. I'll search my photos and see if I have any pictures.

As far as the second cluster, it was just part of the whole harness I removed, and I didn't want to take a ton of time trying to wire the stock cluster to get everything to read out. I needed the car back up and running to keep miles off of my truck. So that will be done over time. Some of the wiring will work, but not all.

I'm not sure on the power steering. I've checked every fuse on this car, lol. I did remove everything under the dash, including the dash, when I was working o the original wiring, so maybe something still isn't hooked up correctly?

Thank you for those questions, those are a few of the things I need to keep track of!

I just filled my tank up for the first time and I'm at 38.5mpg. I'm ok with that considering it's the stock tune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good for you, great project.
i had considered swapping in a d15b dual vtec into mine before I settled on a K20a. I like the performance potential. I almost wish I’d spent more time thinking about it though.
im not in to racing, just want a fun driver that gets great mileage.
i lost eps shortly after messing around with the grounds that control the vss signal going to the gauges. EPS started working when I found an open on that circuit.
with 2 gauge clusters in there, you might find your problem.
thanks for the post - not something I’m good at.
good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been looking into the EPS, as well as the speedo, as they both take the signal from the VSS. I assume that the reason the EPS isn't working is due to not having any signal coming from the VSS. I haven't had time to find the wires that I need to jump from, I'm hoping to work on that some this weekend.

On the total, I am now up at 800 miles of driving on the D16 setup. The two fill ups I have done so far have been 38.5mpg and 35.5mpg. This is another area I feel that I can improve once I install the Hondata. From what I have read in the past, the stock ECU runs rather rich. I am not really hot-rodding the car, but at the same time I am nowhere near a hyper miler either. I think when it is all said and done, I should be looking at around 45mpg, which is what the car was getting when I got it!

I can't fault anyone with going with a K20. Amazing motors, and the potential is just insane! I just had the D16 setups fall into my lap so I ran with it. Including the two sets of axles I have purchased, I am in the build for $996, but I'm sure I'm missing some of the misc stuff in that total.

I am also planning to work on some of the turbo stuff this weekend. My oil pan has a small leak, so getting that off to either tap the pan or put in a bulkhead seems like a good place to start! My wideband will be in tomorrow, so that will allow me to hook up my Hondata and start watching the stock tune to see how it acts.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Any idea how much the D series weighs? My K24 sits pretty low in the front, even with Scott's stiffer front springs. I want to say I took ~100lbs out of the rear and added 200lbs+ to the front. The car is definitely a lot more front heavy now, and I expect the balance is better with a D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read somewhere the K20a and d series were nearly same in weight. My computer is down so I can’t forward that link.
but my memory isn’t what it used to be.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I read somewhere the K20a and d series were nearly same in weight. My computer is down so I can’t forward that link.
but my memory isn’t what it used to be.
I know the K24 weighs around the same as a B16, but the B series have a lot more moving parts than a D, and probably more structural blocks. Still pretty impressive that Honda got the displacement up by 50% without adding any weight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All I can say is that my CVT trans is Heavy! Like I had said previously, my insight is now 200lbs lighter than before, with the hybrid battery and converter weighing in at around 90lbs.

If I had a scale large enough, I would weigh both setups, as I still have the D16Y7 with trans sitting in the garage, as well as the factory insight setup with CVT

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well I made some progression this weekend so far on the insight. No, not important stuff like figuring out gauges and wiring, no, instead I decided to turbo the car.

First, i hooked up my Hondata P28 computer and loaded the factory P28 calibration. She started right up, so that was good.

Next I installed a Walbro 255lph fuel pump in the factory hanger with the factory sock, since the new sock wouldn't fit into the hanger cylinder setup. Sorry, no pics of doing this install. Previously I had converted this car to a return style system, since the CVT cars don't run a return. It only took about 20 minutes to swap the pump.

Then the fun started! Got the car up in the air, removed the header, removed the pan, added the feed and return oil lines, and got the turbo clocked as it needs to be. It's a really tight fit in the car next to the clutch slave cylinder!!!

From there I hooked up the wastegate and made a dump tube out of a cylinder runner from the previously mentioned header, worked great! Also made half of a down pipe.

Then I mounted the intercooler and ran about 2/3 of the intercooler piping!

All of this was done yesterday and today! I'm pretty exhausted! Tomorrow will hopefully be finishing the down pipe, and intercooler piping, although the "kit" is out of usable couplers.... Then it's on to putting in the 750cc injectors and doing some tuning! I did start the car tonight and let it get up to temp for 20 minutes or so. No leaks, which is amazing!

I'll add some pics when I get some time. Thanks for looking!

John

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Holy crap! Stock fuel pump up over 200whp?!?! I wouldn't think it would keep up!

For right now I'm only looking for 200-220whp. This is an unopened motor. I did win a raffle for a set of Maxpeedingrods Rods, so I plan to build a bottom end this winter, and shoot for 350-400whp.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts