Honda Insight Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Insight: D16Z6, turbo'ed
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
So I finally got the car thrown back together. She runs great! I'm back at 4psi for the time being, as I wanted to make sure everything is in good working order before giving it the goods!

The mounts feel really good, vibration is almost non-existent! Time will tell how well they hold up. I designed the rear mount solid, but by design it has "Spring" in it. I'm hoping it stays together ok.

The clutch is really grabby, chatters some, but that could also be the lighter flywheel and my clutch engagement. This clutch/flywheel combo is 7lbs lighter than the factory, 8lbs lighter flywheel but the clutch added 1lb. I will take shifts easy for the first 500 miles or so, as recommended.

One odd thing that happened, is now the car turns over FAST, like the freaking spark plugs aren't even in! Before it would lug really bad, almost to the point of not starting like the battery was dead. I'm thinking there might have been an issue with the starter/flywheel engagement earlier for some reason. I didn't take those apart when I put this motor in my car for the first time, so maybe an issue from the previous owner? I don't know, but I'm really happy it's working good now!

After a few days of soft driving, I will look back into my VTEC. It very well may be working, so I will turn VTEC off in Hondata, and see if the car gets slower! I should have done that from the get go, lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Update!! Almost died! Lol, just kidding! So I made a huge mistake. The driver's side motor mount was made vertically, but I didn't capture the top of the mount with a plate or washer, so the bolt almost dropped through! If the neoprene (or whatever material) bushing would have ripped, the whole engine would have dropped. Oops!

I've fixed this by stacking a few washers up to capture it. I will make a small disk with the proper size diameter and hole when I can get to a manual lathe.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hey Guys! It's been quite a while since my last post! I have basically fallen off this site for random reasons, but I am still working with the car.

When I swapped out the clutch, I also did the rear main seal, but I re-used the oil pan gasket. Even with RTV put in the corners, I ended up with a really small leak somewhere, and it ended up destroying my new clutch. Oil doesn't even hit the ground, that is how small the leak is. So, I swapped back to the stock clutch, as it looked impeccable!

So, with it back to the factory clutch, I ordered another rear main seal, and new pan gasket. However, these will be put on when I build the engine over the winter.

I have Upped the performance a bit. Last personal best was [email protected], with about 9.5psi. I purchased a OmniPower 3 bar map sensor, and I switched the car to E85. I had it running at an assumed 14psi, with about 24-25 Degrees of timing. It was moving out! However, while tuning, it would develop a stutter. Replaced cap and rotor, took the spark plug gap down to .023", still stutter. I am almost positive I have hit the limit of the stock head bolts. I believe I am lifting the head at this power level. Verified by wonky coolant temps, and coolant being pushed out the radiator cap. in this capacity, I feel it's probably running in the high 11 second range. No times to back up this claim, just purely speculation based on the butt dyno and personal experience!

So, I said "assumed" 14psi, and I need to explain that. The new map sensor doesn't have specific values to offset it in Hondata like others do, like the 4 bar version from the same company (OmniPower 4 bar is in the drop down menu). I picked another brand of 3 bar under the drop down menu until the values were reasonably close. Where the stock map sensor read 9.5 psi, the new one reads 7.7 psi, on basically back to back runs. And on the new setup, I am running 12.2psi. So, assuming the factory sensor read "more" correct, I'm assuming 14psi.... Whatever the boost level, this is enough to demand 80% of the 750cc fuel injectors, which I haven't done the calculations on, but I'm estimating around 260whp. Which is borrowed time on a 100% stock engine.

Ok, all that aside, the car is running fantastic! Yesterday I switched back to the factory Map Sensor, and back to 4.2psi so I can run standard gas again for the winter. Losing 100whp sucks! Ha Ha.

Thanks for looking guys! When I start the engine tear down and rebuild, I will post plenty of pictures about the process. I'm planning a simple build, rods, pistons, new bearings and seals, a cam(I have it), and hopefully a 5858 Billet DBB turbo. Next year should be wild in this little rocket!

John

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sweet build man! I put together a d17 stroked z6 in my 00 insight last year and it hauled with 152/124 at the tire out of the Na setup. I always wanted to do a simple turbo d16 in it. I feel like 200-220whp would be awesome in the car with a smaller turbo like a evo8 16g on it. If you built a simple rod and piston motor for it and went bigger on the fuel system I could see it doing 10’s with traction. My build thread was on Honda tech. I always had an axle vibration issue that drove me nuts but I should have mounted the engine toward the firewall by about another inch or so. If I built another one I will definitely make sure the mounts are perfect because that was my biggest issue by far.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Oh I'm well aware of your build! It was awesome, and the main reason I went with my build! Besides the free civic anyway, lol.

I actually found some slightly shorter axles than the ones you used, and I know I'm really close on one side, but my car doesn't have any vibration, or any more than you would expect will more rigid mounts!

I'm doing a rods/pistons build here over the winter. Also I'll be redoing the mounts, again, haha. Plan is a 5858 billet turbo, more fuel, and probably a better intercooler. I think 10's should be decently easy since I already have slicks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice the vibration thing really drove me nuts. If I raised the car up it was pretty much gone but it looked really good low. I need to spend some free time reading through your thread, I kind of just glanced through it and was like sweet someone else did it then replied real quick.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts