Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing hours of research on hybrids and finally deciding on an Insight, I just found out that I may not be able to get a California HOV sticker for it. The HOV sticker is one of the main (if not THE main) reason to buy a hybrid.

The long story: California is allowed to issue 75k stickers. It looks like they've already issued ~67k and are giving them out at the rate of about 4k a month. I'm currently in Europe and won't be back and able to buy a car until the end of August. If I can get an application turned around in a month, I'll be cutting it JUST shy of the deadline. Arg.

Does anyone have a feel for how many stickers are left? Is my ~8k left about right? Is it possible to buy a car with a sticker on it already and just transfer the sticker with the car?

Thanks again for your help guys.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sticker goes with car

I had called the California Air Resources Board about this a while ago. (A real person answered the phone!) The stickers stay with the car when it's sold. There is no transfer procedure to follow.

I wonder how much more a car with stickers will go for once they run out?

Good luck, Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
7 Posts
Craigslist

You can basically go on Craigslist and find used cars with stickers....just a fyi, 2005-2006 insights do not qualify for the stickers....as I last checked with the ARB a week ago, they only had 5000 stickers left.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A coworker of mine bought a brand new Prius a few weeks back and he was told that he can't even apply for his stickers until he gets his license plates...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re: Craigslist

It's true that 2005-2006 Insights don't qualify. However, several people on this forum (including myself) have received stickers for their 2005-2006 cars. The DMV doesn't seem to care. In spite of that, you might want to play it safe and get a 2004 or earlier model just in case.

·
Registered
231 Posts
minako said:
A coworker of mine bought a brand new Prius a few weeks back and he was told that he can't even apply for his stickers until he gets his license plates...
That's true. You can apply for the stickers until you have your official (non-temporary) registration.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Horrible abuse of the HOV concept to give out stickers to hybrids IMO. Sad to see Priuses zipping by at 80mph, knowing that the only reason they bought the car is to get into that diamond lane. :x :x :x Nevertheless, last month I did go to the trouble of getting the stickers for my 2002, but haven't stuck them on yet - think I'll use blue masking tape. In the Bay Area you have to jump through two hoops: you must first get the FasTrak transponder (special one for hybrids), and with that paperwork in your hand you then apply for the HOV stickers. Took me two attempts, as FasTrak had screwed up in transcribing my application and DMV bounced it. As it is, my Insight ended up being listed as a Toyota Civic Hybrid :oops: :oops: by FasTrak, but luckily we can access their database on the Internet and make corrections ourselves. Good luck, but I'm afraid you first need to get the car before you can apply for the stickers. :( JoeS.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is a special FasTrack unit for the hybrids? Oops I didn't know that... I've been using the FasTrack account and transponder that I've been using since the program first started...

But then again, I bought mine used with the stickers already affixed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
latest

Just spoke somebody from the special processing unit. Apparently applications have really tailed down. She says that issuances are down to a couple hundred per month--and that she doesn't expect issuance to stop until X-mas....not sure how to interpret this info given all the other data points out there. She said that they've issued 68,000 stickers thus far which is consistent with what is being reported--but like I said she says that only a couple hundred are being issued per month....

Just thought I would pass it along....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Craigslist

jbrasure said:
It's true that 2005-2006 Insights don't qualify. However, several people on this forum (including myself) have received stickers for their 2005-2006 cars. The DMV doesn't seem to care. In spite of that, you might want to play it safe and get a 2004 or earlier model just in case.
Insights prior to '05 qualified and DMV personnel in CA apparently don't take notice of the model year (or don't care :? ). But you'll likely get it.
You're bigger issue will be finding an Insight to buy! I got the last MT '06 I'm aware of in CA and passed on only 3 other CVT's state-wide in the process. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: latest

dhu1 said:
She says that issuances are down to a couple hundred per month--and that she doesn't expect issuance to stop until X-mas....
That's awesome news... I sure hope it's correct. I can't get back to the states until the end of the month to buy an Insight, and I've been sadly watching applications get closer to the 75k mark! I'll be one happy camper if they are still issuing in a month and a half when I can submit an application...

·
Registered
466 Posts
What have people experienced as their "wait-times" once applied? I just sent mine in this last Monday and have no idea what the ETA might be or if they have any left...

I am imagining that everyone just sent their $8 check to the DMV using the AQMD application? I tried to do it at the DMV itself but they said I had to mail it in and hope...

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
do a search on "latest hov stickers" on google and it'll lead you to the Priuschat page which documents eveybody's wait time....just a fyi, I sent my in on 7/21, they received it on 7/24, check cleared on 8/2, rec'd stickers on 8/7.

·
Registered
13 Posts
70623 hov sticker

My girlfriend just got her Cali HOV sticker for her Prius. The number was 70623. This was on 8/14/2006. There are still quite a few left. There seem to be about 5000 extra applications out there that have not gotten stickers. Probably people with Cadi Escalades or something seeing if they can get one. I am guessing there is a month to go before they will be gone. Oh, by the way, it took about a week and a half to get her sticker from when we mailed it. Also, we made sure to send a cashiers check (so they would not put a hold on it) and next day air it just to be safe.

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
I applied for a hov sticker as soon as they posted the applications online. I got sticker number #HE0034xx. The main problem with the carpool lane are people who think it is some sort of extra-fast lane. I try to drive with the flow of traffic but 70mph is as fast as I want to go. But when nobody is on my tail I am able to use highly efficient driving techniques that I generally don't do in the normal lanes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
online HOV applications

tsakach said:
I applied for a hov sticker as soon as they posted the applications online..
Can you only download an application, or is it possible to submit an application online as well?? (if so, what is the URL?)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts