Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace some components on my instrument cluster. Has anyone ever removed their cluster before? How do I get the large silver dash trim off. I know there are special clips, will it just pop off with a little force?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

swk

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I believe you have to get the two piece cover off the steering column first. There is also a very cleverly hidden self tapping philips screw under a small pop out plasic molded piece at the right side of the right cluster air vent. There are two more under the cluster overhang. Use a rag on your tool when prying the 19 other clips. Try to work in dust free conditions or you will seal unsightly dust specs into the readout area when you reassemble it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did this a while ago and had a lot of trouble locating the "cleverly hidden" screw. I would probably still be looking for it without Kip's kind help. But once I had all the screws out I could pop the panel off by hand, no levering required. And it popped back on just as cleanly, no broken clips or rattling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can I reuse all the clips? Do some end up breaking? Or will I need to purchase replacements before hand?

Thanks for the tips!

swk

·
Registered
38 Posts
You should need any replacement clips. Like I wrote, once you get the screws out you just pull it off by hand and it pops back on. I was surprised at how cleanly it worked.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It did go smooth. It was a lot easier then I thought it would be. Just make sure you have a steering wheel puller and a tork wrench to put the wheel back on. I think it was 29 foot pounds. Thanks all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts