Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2003 Honda Insight. When I turn on my headlights it dims the dash lights. I used to be able to push a button on the dash and the dash lights would brighten up. This button no longer works. I was wondering if anyone has figured out a work around for this problem.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
There is this option:

You really should watch the video of how to take the dash bezel apart:

Scott

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
OP:
Please include your Location in your Profile. Thank You.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
huh, and I was just telling someone it wasn't worth replacing those buttons when you replace the trip buttons, cuz they're hardly used and never fail... I guess they do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
None of the buttons in my 01 seem to work but my dash isn’t cracked currently and I am afraid to try and replace the buttons and crack the dash.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
It's been a while since I had mine apart, but I don't recall it being too difficult. Just take your time, don't force anything, think things through. And of course watch that video or review other stuff, like FSM, before, so you have a good idea of what needs to be done... If it does crack it's not the end of the world. Having working buttons seems worth the slight risk of cracking stuff...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the great links and videos. I have ordered the replacement buttons from a link I got off of the Dash Button Exchange link. I ordered 10 buttons for $10 including shipping from a company called DigiKey. My intent is to take the dash apart and replace the buttons. Below is the information on the push buttons I ordered.
‎CKN10734-ND‎
‎KSA0M911 LFTR‎
SWITCH TACTILE SPST-NO 0.05A 32V
I will update this post as I do the repair. The biggest issue for me is not being able to see the dash gauges when I have my headlight on during the day. I turn my headlights on to be seen. The car has such a low profile I want all the visibility I can get. I hope I can fix that!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
Please include your Location as ALL G1 Insighters have done. Thank You.

·
Registered
2000 Silver Insight manual
7 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2003 Honda Insight. When I turn on my headlights it dims the dash lights. I used to be able to push a button on the dash and the dash lights would brighten up. This button no longer works. I was wondering if anyone has figured out a work around for this problem.
Thanks,
Steve
Please watch Scott Kulbek's YT video on how to repair the micro switches behind the dash. He has some of the best G1 Insight videos - to-the-point and accurate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None of the buttons in my 01 seem to work but my dash isn’t cracked currently and I am afraid to try and replace the buttons and crack the dash.
This is my second Insight, my first was 2001 automatic. I had the dash out in it, and cracked it, but barely noticeably. Can't remember why I took it out. I have a Honda Company, Honda Insight, 1st gen maintenance manual that is an excellent reference source. Plus I'm getting ready to watch that recommended video on how to take the dash apart. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there, I wanted to let you all know that I live near Indianapolis, IN, I have gotten a couple of posts requesting me to do that. I got my micro switches and am getting ready to take my dash apart, after I watch the recommended video. I really hope these buttons work!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
You can include your Location in your Profile. It is real easy to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts