Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!- I just picked up my (new) 2000 Insight 5speed from the dealer (what a story) anyway lets just say I never want to take it back to them again-ever. However, last night when I was playing with things, I managed to dim the dash display with the headlights on- now it won't come back up when I press the (+) button. Is this an easy fix? I have a 30 day 1k mile warrantee, but I am afraid to leave the car with them...

Thanks
Tim

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Been reported on the forum in the past. Seems to be poorly designed switch contacts intergral with the gauge assembly, $800+ :shock:

Repairable :?: Possibly. Switch parts are NOT available seperate from the gauge assembly. However, if their burnishable on disassembly it will likely fix the problem (the old pencil eraser "trick'). No reported disassembly and inspection attempts on the forum. :|

Which is why I've moved my frequent usage of the "+" button to a remote switch location. See my sig for the web pages detailing the mod.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
2001 Insight. My "plus" button never worked as advertised, where you're supposed to be able to "tap" it to incrementally get brighter.

But... if I hold the plus button down steadily for five or so seconds, it goes to full brightness.

I suggest you give that a try. Couldn't hurt...

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
dberns said:
2001 Insight. My "plus" button never worked as advertised, where you're supposed to be able to "tap" it to incrementally get brighter.

But... if I hold the plus button down steadily for five or so seconds, it goes to full brightness.

I suggest you give that a try. Couldn't hurt...
I also bought a 2000 Insight last week and have to hold the button in for about 3 - 5 secs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah- I've tapped it, pushed it, held it, everything- and still nothing. I think its probably just a bad button... I am dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow :roll: (against my will) Its really not bad at night- but today was torrential downpours, and with my lights on I could barely see the gauges...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also there are two sets of settings.
6 levels of daylight brightness with headlights off and 6 levels of night time brightness with headlights on. Supposedly the car will remember your preferred level for each.
Holding plus in with headlights on jumps the night setting to day setting level. Pusing minus jumps it back to night setting.

This is useless info if your switch is bad.

Just a wild guess, but maybe if the 12v battery were disconnected for a while the dash lights would reset to factory defaults? (course I don't know if this messes up your radio, etc?)

-John

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The only "problem" being the brightest intensity for daytime (headlights off) is different (brighter) than with headlights on.

Read: Daytime with headlights on needs a manual correction every time. :!: :x

It's Gauge lights peskyness, and there's a mod for it. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no- its not the peskiness thing- when the lights are on- the first time I turned them on when I got home with the car- I dimmed the dash down with the lights on- because I was playing with the buttons. but now with the headlights on they wont dim back up- they wont go down because they are all the way down and they wont come up because the (+) button doesnt work...

-Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts