Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiance noises from the dc dc converter? And what noises are normal? When i let out clutch and engine bogs a little seems like dc dc converter makes noise like styrofoam rubbing together and then accelerating through it sounds like when you turn off a power inverter.

Ive made sure its not any of the styrofoam by removing it from mcm and bcm.
Im not sure if its the fan or the dc dc converter itself.
My pack is turned off and bcm unplugged.

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
The noise you are hearing is due to the DCDC converter switching from 12.x mode to 14.x mode. Specifically, it's an inductor that squeals when the ECM changes between modes. It won't damage anything, but if you'd like to make it go away - and keep your 12 volt battery more charged - you can cut the WHT/GRN wire going to the DCDC, which will force the DCDC to charge the 12 volt battery, even when the ECM thinks it's not mpg efficient to do so. All you have to do is cut that wire and nothing else. I've been running my car this way for a couple years now and love that the 12 volt battery is always charged. FYI: There's only one WHT/GRN wire in the IMA bay.

·
Registered
780 Posts
What do people with bypasses do for that noise? I still hear it every once in a while but I thought that I was supposed to be setup for 14v all the time with the full bypass?

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
What do people with bypasses do for that noise? I still hear it every once in a while but I thought that I was supposed to be setup for 14v all the time with the full bypass?
Without an IMA battery, the DCDC converter isn't able to stay on at idle and above ~4k rpm. The noise you're hearing in a bypassed car is the DCDC turning back on. Not much you can do about that with the OEM DCDC. However, I believe Peter's aftermarket DCDC solution stays on all the time, so you could always upgrade to that hardware.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Did you cut the WHITE/GREEN wire?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the white/green connected and just recently disconnected it. Converter still making noise. I was only concerned something might be wrong with it. Like an idiot i didnt turn ima on and plug in bcm in to check codes before removing entire pack and installing arduino and small modified harness.

Converter is still making noise. Guess ill see when put it all back together with the lto cells

1 - 9 of 9 Posts