Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My IMA light has been coming on and going off, The dealer said that it is the DC to DC convertor. Has anyone ale had this problem? My Insight is a 2001 with 111,000 miles. I thought the red battery indicator lamp would come on if that were the problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi ibjeff,

What is the code retrieved by the dealer? (If they haven't retrieved the code, they need to do this first.)

-fly

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just called the dealer and the code is 1443

·
Registered
240 Posts
It looks like P1443 may be battery deterioration, according to this post on another forum:

I have another good news story! My 2000 Insight with 137,000 threw a battery deterioration code P1443 last Monday. I took it to the local dealer and he called Wednesday morning and said he had a new pack with modules ordered and they would be in next Wednesday.$0 for the parts & $0 for labor. I was prepared for a fight.

My Insight just threw P1447, which is also battery deterioration. It sounds to me like your dealership is wrong, but hopefully someone else can give you a more definitive answer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had trouble with this dealership. This same thing happened 2 weeks ago and they said it was loose connections to the ecm. The light stayed off for about a week and then started off and on again. Honda has never replaced my battery, just the control units. I think I might pick up my car go somewhere else. They are saying the dc to dc convertor will cost about $3000 but Honda will kick in and it will only cost me about $1400. I asked the sm if he is sure this is what is wrong and he says that his tech has been on the phone with Honda and it points to that>

·
Registered
102 Posts
P1443 is called "High Voltage Contactor/Bypass Contactor Stays Activated" according to the SM.

The first remedy is to reset it and see if it recurs.

The second remedy is to check a 30A fuse or an open circuit on the battery pack junction board harness. If the fuse & harness are OK, then replace the DC-DC converter. If not, replace the battery module.

So - if they know what they're doing, your problem could easily be a bad DC-DC converter.

It could also be a bad battery module, or a bad MPI (Motor Power Inverter) module...

All this from the SM. Hope it helps.
- Jim

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your responses. I am going to trust the dealer and Honda and hope that this solves the problem. I love this car!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got my Insight back this afternoon to the tune of $1400+ out of my pocket. The dealer here in Mesa was completely satisfied that putting in the new dc to dc converter solved the problem. Guess what!!!!!!!!! We went shopping this evening and the IMA light is back on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm at a loss for words! I'll be back at the dealership in the morning.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ibjeff, so sorry to hear of your troubles. I would definitely argue with the dealership that you shouldn't have to pay for repairs that didn't fix your car -- generally, you should only have to pay for the part (since now you have a new part in your car) and they have to eat the labor, which is often half of the cost.

Good luck!
-fly

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am working with the service manager now. I take the car back in on Monday. The IMA light is staying on all the time now. This time they are going to give me a car to use while they fix the problem. Wish me luck In the past 2 months they have had my car for a total of 3 weeks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I drove up to service this morning the Service Manager was actually out waiting for me. He assured me the situation would be taken care of and sent me off in a new Accord. Keep you fingers crossed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Glad to hear it, ibjeff. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer just called!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting a new battery! pack!!!!!!!!!! I knew it was the battery pack. I have a case # opened with Honda about compensation for the DC to DC converter that I did NOT need!!!!!!!!! Things are looking good!!!!!!!! My car should be done by Friday!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yay! :) :D Sounds like the dealership messed up when diagnosing the problem (they probably should've read the service manual, like shewb did ;-) ) so you should not get stuck with the bill -- fingers crossed for ya!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just picked up my Insight with its new IMA battery pack!!!!!! The news gets better!!!! Honda is refunding the intire amount I paid for the dc to dc converter!!!!!! Thanks HONDA!!! It doesn't get any better!!!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got a follow up call from Honda Cars of Mesa/SanTan Honda. They invited me to take a private tour of the new dealership in Gilbert,AZ. I'm going to take them up on it. My car is performing GREAT!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Now that's what I like to hear! I know a lot of people have horror stories to tell about dealerships -- it happens with all of them. It makes me happy to hear good things, though. Yay for Honda! Yay!! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just got the "golden goose", IMA light came on last night. Appointment has been made for Thursday. Let's all hope and pray that they simply replace the battery, and not put me through the ringer first, like ibjeff has been. It's great to read that, in the end, you where treated fairly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts