Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a great experience driving my 2001 (automatic) over 100 miles a day to and from work. Yesterday, my wife went to start it and the car just made fast clicking noises. The asssit battery level was reading almost full. I had her wait a few seconds and then it started right up.
Today, we went to start it and it just made clicking noises, then the digital readouts went dead, more clicking noises.
The car has 40k miles and has never had a problem. Any suggestions???

Under normal circumstances I would say this is simply a bad battery, but this is entirely new territory and didn't know if this was common in 2001 CVT models.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
If the 12v battery is insufficient then the high voltage contactor won't pull-in and starting will revert to the back-up starter. The clicking (if more like a light tapping from under the hood) is the starter solenoid pulling-in. Then with the additional load of the 12v starter engaged the bad 12v battery voltage drops to below a level sufficient to hold the solenoid in.

And the cycle repeats.

Get the 12v battery tested.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'll second that. That's typical behavior for a dying 12 volt battery. They do not import the original Furukawa battery in to the US. Honda's replacment is a civic size battery, which will fill the whole tray. This is one route, there is also a civic sized optima yellow top now for a few more bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. The battery is indeed "Dead!".

So, replacement battery at AutoZone is $89 (low end) and they go up from there because it is such a custom type battery.

One of you mentioned the civic battery, any particular type?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi cadam,

it really doesn't matter who manufactured the battery - a Civic battery will fit. If you can get one from Costco, that'll work as well as one you get from a Honda dealer. Batteries will vary as far as CCA's, but other than that, if you just need to get the car running, get a Civic battery and install it.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If autozone has something similar in size to the original battery please post that information.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I replaced my OEM 12 volt battery with a Diehard from Sears back in July 03 and that cured the problem which sounds like the same problem you are having. I got one that would normally fit a Civic and it filled the battery box up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just replaced my original battery. That sucker lasted me almost 70,000 miles. So it was time for a new one. Autozone also quoted me bout 65 bucks. Instead i went with the Hawker PC545 motorcycle battery. Little lighter. Fits well. Got mine all said and done for 80 bucks. If you go that way... make sure and order the automotive battery terminal adapters as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts