Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I follow this sight closely but not many post.
Question: Can anyone describe what occurs when Insight engine battery goes dead compared to when battery pack dies out. Basically, I jumped it a couple of times and it started, but then all power started to die, all lights flickered and stalled. I am out of town now, wondering whether to have it towed to stealership, but if it is just the engine battery, I will just pick one up when I get home. If it is just the engine battery, can anyone suggest what to buy with out going to dealership? My '02 Insight has 79,500 miles.

grats,

ubi

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dead Battery

ubi_wampum

Mine went out about 6 months ago and I went to Walmart and bought a Civic battery. They wouldn't install it because it wasn't listed for the Insight. So I purchased a pair of pliers and some wrenches and installed it in their parking lot myself. It is a close fit with one of the cables. But it does fit ok in the tray and and the cable is just long enough.
Someone else on the Insight forum has done this, before me, and does a better job of explaining it.

Good Luck

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
In regard to an Insight and 12v batteries nothing "special is _needed_, _except_ for dimensions and terminal arrangement (fit). A Civic generic group size 51 is what will work. There is a suffex letter "R" that denotes reversed terminals (I don't remember which way is what).

Now if you want to stay in keeping with the ultra MPG concept a motorcycle sized Hawker battery is the ticket. If you like to listen to the radio while parked its probably not the best choice since its AH rating is less (but still more than sufficient) than designed.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If the Insight starts when jumped, runs for a bit then stops, it sounds like the battery is not being recharged. If you have a voltmeter handy you can check to see that the voltage across the battery is around 14 volts when the engine is running. If not, check the cables, especially the ground cables from the engine to the chassis, and check the fuse in the fuse box under the hood.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

Thanks for the help! I bought the new battery without a problem. Unfortunately, A big rock nailed my windshield today & I do not have glass coverage;{ Any cost saving ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'm not sure how you can check this ahead of time, but I thought I'd let you know my experience.

I had my windshield replaced last summer. The non-oem glass, while costing less, seems to be especially prone to fogging. So much so that a few times last winter I had to scrape the inside of the windsheild before driving.

I'm not sure why this happens, and it never happened with my original windshield.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Your standard Civic battery is 51R (with R denoting reversed terminals). For the Insight the 51 (without R) works better. With a 51 series battery, the terminals are towards the the rear, closer to the firewall. With the 51R, the terminals are towards the front. It'll work without any cable extension, but the cables are stretched a bit.

The simple way to check a battery is just to measure it's voltage. With the engine not running, If it's below 12.5 volts with no load or 11.5 volts with a load (turn on the headlights and rear window defroster), you need a new battery.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Has anyone taken a close look at the 12v battery in the new, HCH II?

I happened to glance at one at an "Earth Day" exhibit and noticed that it had the same look, size, and shape of the OEM Insight battery.

I don't know if they are the same or what Honda recommends as a replacement for the HCH II but it may be one other option to look into for our cars.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Good catch. I did have a chance to compare the two and they are the same as the CVT Insight's slightly larger 12 volt battery. The mounting configuration for the Civic Hybrid is not so that it could easily accept a larger normal size Civic battery either so I'd imagine if you went to get a battery for a Civic Hybrid (2006) it would have be the Furukawa battery.

·
Registered
75 Posts
windshield vs. rock

ubi_wampum said:
Thanks for the help! I bought the new battery without a problem. Unfortunately, A big rock nailed my windshield today & I do not have glass coverage;{ Any cost saving ideas would be appreciated.
If it hasn't started across the windshield, I have used the repair stuff from walmart, with the little suction hypo and have been very pleased with the results. have used it 4 other times, so pleased.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
green

Thanks Green. It is a major crack. I am surprised the rock did not come through the windshield. Maybe it was frozen crap from an airplane;} Still waiting to get it fixed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
flunkysama said:
The simple way to check a battery is just to measure it's voltage. With the engine not running, If it's below 12.5 volts with no load or 11.5 volts with a load (turn on the headlights and rear window defroster), you need a new battery.
I performed this check on my OEM battery and it was slightly above 12.5 and 11.5 at the points described above. Two days later it was dead. This was at about 4.5 years and 75,000 miles. I wouldn't have even known the 12v was dying except I saw the SoC gauge showing how much of a hit the IMA battery was taking.

Popped in a new 12v (Group 51) and now everything is right back where is was before... GREAT! 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts