Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got into a little fender bender. The driver airbag popped, flat tire, lower control arm, and fender damage, but that was all. No frame damage or anything else. I towed the car home and got to replacing the damaged parts about a week later and went to turn the car on and noticed symptoms of a very low/dead battery. HUD coming on/fading off, low volume on the door chime, etc. etc. and wouldn't turn the engine over. I figured I'd left the headlights on, or door open or something, so figured I'd throw the charger on it. I connect the positive, then clamp the negative to the frame, and hear all the relays clicking and beeping (left the keys on accessory). Hmmm, strange I thought, the charger is only a 2amp slow charge, and doesn't have boost, and everything seems to be powered up, the battery must not have been dead. I crank the engine and it fired right up. Unhook the charger and let it run for a good 20 minutes. Everything seemed fine. About another week went by and I tried starting it again and again, symptoms of a weak battery. Any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
622 Posts
either its the 12v or the damage, somehow, led to the symptoms described ... how old is the 12v? besides the noted suspension/body damage were any electrical components affected - either directly or as a result of being routed thru areas impacted by the damage (shifted wires, chafed wires, shorts, leads to battery (ground in particular), etc.? did u check the fuses?

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Get yourself a cigarette lighter voltmeter so you can monitor your 12V and know if you're charging.

12V can fail at any time.

Charge it and get it load tested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
either its the 12v or the damage, somehow, led to the symptoms described ... how old is the 12v? besides the noted suspension/body damage were any electrical components affected - either directly or as a result of being routed thru areas impacted by the damage (shifted wires, chafed wires, shorts, leads to battery (ground in particular), etc.? did u check the fuses?
I just find it incredibly unlikely that at that moment the 12V would decide to go. I'm not sure how old the battery is. I had the front bumper and driver fender off (where the damage was) and everything is perfectly fine. No damaged wires or anything. The strangest thing though is that it appears dead until a power source (12v charger, in my case) touches the battery, then it's like it was never dead. I guess it's usually the simplest things first, so I am going to put a volt meter on the battery now, then connect the charger for a second, and see what happens.
Wait a minute.... something just came to me.... I forgot these cars use the IMA battery and the IMA motor to start the engine. I bet my 12v is dead, and sticking the charger on it powered up the ECU enough to start the engine. I feel dumb.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Charge the darn 12V battery!
That is the first thing to do on any electrical problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Charge the darn 12V battery!
That is the first thing to do on any electrical problem.
This is my first hybrid! It's kind of like magic how they work. I used to think that they ran on hopes and dreams and the only waste produced was similar to what comes from the rear end of a unicorn. :D

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Wet cell batteries require maintenance. Accumulation of sulfates and loss of water can cause a battery to have negligible capacity or massive voltage drop under load or be open circuit. I had an issue with a Fit that would start perfectly and then be completely dead - seemingly at random.

Checked the 12V and one of the cells was showing low fluid and massive build-up. When the fluid could complete the circuit, it would fire. Otherwise, the failure of the fluid to complete the circuit would have the battery show 0V and car was completely dead.

Also, an impact that is sufficient to deploy airbags is of concern. You had a 50# battery come to an abrupt stop. If there was any pending failure, that sort of shock could cause it to manifest itself.

Pop the vent covers and let us know what you find.

+1 to Willie's comment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts