Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 ( about120k, new Bumblebee, never any issues) refused to start the other day. Just driven a couple of hours on a very cold day. Parked, did not lock, went to the hatch to get something out, and found I had to unlock it by hand. Took care of business, about an hour. Out the car, turned on the ignition and absolutely nothing. Thought it might have somethiing to do with the locks, so tried locking and unlocking, manual lock and unlock of hatch. Finally got it to turn on and run, and it has been doing so nicely ever since. The only evidence I find is the loss of presets stations on the radio as well as the time, which leads me to suspect that the 12v battery somehow became disconnected or shut off. Is there any kind of interlock in the locking system that would do this?

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
You probably had no 12V when you shut the car down. That's the reason you had to open the hatch with the key. Confirming this is fact that car would not start 1 hr. later. Loss of radio presets also indicates a temporary loss of 12V. Seems to me that you have an intermittent failure of the 12V system. My "guess" is that it is one of the common grounding cable problems. My primary computer has failed, so lost my bookmarks for reference picture of grounds, but there are 3 main ones, two from engine/transmission to chassis just under the air cleaner box, and of course the one ground cable at the battery. Grasp each one and give them a good hard tug and make sure it doesn't come apart when you do so.

I am unaware of any "interlock" which would produce the symptoms you describe.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
Look Here:
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tnx. Will give it a try as soon as the mud decreases enough to drive the car. Mud season is early this year and even with studded snows, I have a couple of slopes that are a little challenging, best negotiated when things are firmer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts