Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Insight. Hasn't been started for 4 months. Completely dead. Doesn't respond to charging except for clicking sound. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
If it is clicking, the 12v starter isn't getting enough power to start the car. Sounds like your 12v battery is too dead to engage the contactor and start with the HV battery or the HV battery is too low to start the car and your 12v battery can't do it either. Replace the 12v battery and try again. ..or try to jump start to be sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. It click internally when I attach a charger not when I turn the key to start. Perhaps I should pull the battery and attempt to charge it?

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
You could just pull the negative terminal and charge the battery if that is easier.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Just an fyi to everybody reading this now and in the future, never leave a hybrid sit for months at a time. It can effect the IMA battery pack long term.
(this is true of rechargeable drill batteries as well)

Now that said, we have had members buy used Insights from dealers where they have sat way too long. It takes use and time for everything to get back to normal. But it can happen.

Because this is a 2010 it may be time for a new under hood 12v battery in any case. I'd also see about having the software updates done at a dealer. I'm sure they are on every corner in Alaska......

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
All good advice. The manual mentions a storage procedure and advises to not store the car longer than a few months without redoing the storage procedure.

The car wll run independent of the IMA system, but for that you need a good 12 volt starter battery. If its failed, you got no charger system so the starter battery will run down in a smort amount of time if you see the red battery logo and IMA errors.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Wow, that went surprisingly well. First time I jumped my insight no sooner I disconnected the cables the car died including the dash and door open buzzer. I left the jumper cables on for a few minutes and then had to disconnect.

Some guys go with a group 51 civic battery and remove the plastic sleeve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts