Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder:

What is the end date for a dealer to accept an order for a 2006?

What changed between 5-speed models in 2005 & 2006?
- mpg less? pollution less? hp more? reliabiltty better? electronics / software better? materials cheaper?

Will there be there any 2007 car (diesel? smart car?) which can approach Insight's MPG etc.?

'01 manual, 56.1 LMPG, silver

·
Registered
182 Posts
masscommuter said:
I wonder:

I don't know but it might be very soon...

masscommuter said:
What changed between 5-speed models in 2005 & 2006?
- mpg less? pollution less? hp more? reliabiltty better? electronics / software better? materials cheaper?
Very little if anything changed.

masscommuter said:
Will there be there any 2007 car (diesel? smart car?) which can approach Insight's MPG etc.?
I doubt it.

Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
masscommuter said:
I'm afraid it may have already passed. I finally got a dealer to sell me one for sticker price, and they just called me that they stopped making them for the year.

Now im trying to figure out if they are messing with me because they decided they dont want to sell it for sticker, or if that is the truth.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i think 99% of the people here paid sticker price

I ordered my 2006 in early October 2005. Spoke with American Honda corporate customer service in February and they said i was lucky to even get one and that i should not be impatient-- so that makes me assume that i was on the tail end of the buyers, mine arrived in March 06.

the manual no longer gets tax credits.

i do not think they are making a 2007 and that with the plants moving to Canada they will focus on the Fit Hybrid in future production to replace the Insight.

did i get all your ?'s answered??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where are you located in the country? I live in the Raleigh, NC area and there have been 2 2006 Insights on the lot in Cary, NC. That was as of a month ago. I am sure at least one is still there. That is a very high volume dealership and they complain that no one wants to buy the Insight. Unfortunately, this area has never warmed up to them. Very high concentration of SUV drivers. I have yet to see another Insight on the road :( Just an idea, but there are some Insights still out there

·
Registered
75 Posts
kmiller7779 said:
Where are you located in the country? I live in the Raleigh, NC area and there have been 2 2006 Insights on the lot in Cary, NC. That was as of a month ago. I am sure at least one is still there. That is a very high volume dealership and they complain that no one wants to buy the Insight. Unfortunately, this area has never warmed up to them. Very high concentration of SUV drivers. I have yet to see another Insight on the road :( Just an idea, but there are some Insights still out there
Hey kmiller, I live in Rocky Mount, but go to Raleigh every couple of weeks. I've only seen one or two other Insights (although there is a red one that I see passing through the Rocky Mount area pretty frequently) I have a blue 05 CVT. Still, you are right about all the SUVs in the area!

·
Registered
2 Posts
An update on my search...

My dealer just told me that his manager "pulled some strings" and I will be getting a new one being manufactured, so either they were lying before about them already shutting down production on them, or some other buyer canceled their order and I inherited it.

However once I was first told that they are no longer making them, I contacted 3 other dealerships and they told me the same thing...so I'm not sure what to believe at this point.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's going to be interesting to see how and when the last 06's move out. I feel confident in saying that no one will be able to actually order one, you must find one already en route.

A friendly internet sales woman here in Michigan looked up on her magic computer system to tell me where some Insights were still coming in. I called one of the dealers she told me about regarding a blue manual that is currently listed en route to a Michigan dealer and I put a deposit on it.

That dealer told me that someone from Oregon just bought one off their lot and they weren't supposed to get any more, but their sales manager called Honda distribution and got the blue one switched over to them.

My wife had called Fox Honda in Grand Rapids. They said they had one coming, but then they called her back and told her that the factory had cancelled it. This makes me nervous about the one I am waiting for.

I am aware of a few more that are sitting on various lots around the country. All are MSRP plus a doc fee of from $50 to $379 (!). No one will do any dealing that I have found, and they don't seem to need to.

I've got my fingers crossed to join you folks in Insight ownership, but I fear mine might get cancelled too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There seams to be several partial truths. The Insight is ‘batch’ produced, usually in the winter / early spring. So Honda has stopped production. However the cars are feed out to the dealers over the course of the model year so they are still being shipped from the factory in Tochigii Japan, or a storage lot near by.

My car arrived in San Diego on the 17th, is supposed to make it to the dealer in Ohio this week. For the most part the dealers do not want to talk deals on the Insight any more. This seams to be a result of slightly increased demand owing to the cost of gas (my guessing). Also it seams that there are more CVTs in the mix this year than last. If you do a search on autotrader.com for only new Insights there are very few manual transmission cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for replies.

I see a Houston dealer selling 2 on eBay:
( starting bid: 18,500 ) - 5-spd but no AC? Plus others:
http://motors.listings.ebay.com/_Cars-T ... sofocusZpf

One newsp. article said the production line will stop in Sept. But - the "batch" posting here makes sense.

I called a coupla dealers here in Mass. One - they're talkative on weekday evenings - left me with the impression that he could order one up within a week - manual with A/C.

I'm extremely skeptical of anything a Honda salesman says because the reality has always been that this car served as a trophy for them, not a profit-maker, so -- in my experience, unless they're stuck with an unsold one, they dissuade buyers fron Insight and talk up Civic.

All in all, I'm inclined to keep what I've got ..
an '01 that seems to be p.d.g., only 38,800 miles, 56.1 LMPG and 63 avg in recent tanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
When I was in the process of waiting for mine I finally called American Honda Corporate Customer Service and spoke with them. I was assigned a case manager to check for sure that I had an Insight on order and alloted to me. It took about 7-10 days to figure it all out and the dealer got a little pissy that i went behind his back, but in the end i got my Insight.

I would recommend people to do the same because a lot of the Honda dealers (not mine) lied to me flat out. A bunch were like "Oh we can get you one in a week! Brand new, whatever color you want" And i would ask them "When is your allotment?" all the dealers in my tristate area were on the same allotment.... the dealer than would say "We are such a big honda dealer, #1 in the area, we don't need an allotment, Honda gives us what we want" Ok, whatever liar. The fact that he was blowing steam out his tush was amusing for one minute.

Also, i want to add, a local dealer MAY be able to get one transferred to you for a fee from another dealership. OR if you have the time (which i did not) to take off of work, fly out and get one and drive it back!!!!

Good luck. Be aggresive or you may not get a new one.

·
Registered
222 Posts
masscommuter said:
I see a Houston dealer selling 2 on eBay:
( starting bid: 18,500 ) - 5-spd but no AC? Plus others:
http://motors.listings.ebay.com/_Cars-T ... sofocusZpf
Interesting listing. They have boilerplate in there about how the car has no visible collision damage, and no dings, and how tight and clean the shifting is, and yet if you read further, they say that the car is incoming, and they don't even have it yet. Idiots.

However, the VIN on one of them: JHMZE13736S000612 makes me think it does indeed have air, since my VIN (MT, air) on my incoming (I hope) Insight matches it exactly for the first 14 characters.

I also noticed that everybody talks about Insights being made at the Tochigii plant, but apparently lots of them were built at Suzuka?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good catch on the manufacturing location. The older articles on the net say the Insight is made in Tochigii. More recent articles say Sazuka. Taking a quick look at the VIN numbers (autotrader.com listings) show that the location changed with the 05 models. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I ordered my 06 MT in February. After placing a deposit, I was given an order sheet (can't remember the dealerese for the form) with the details and tracking #'s for the car. It took about 2 months for the nice red Insight to arrive from Japan. I pretty much got the car on order that was designated for me, no problems. I paid sticker price and also bought extended warranty options, so I am set for the next 8 years with no out of pocket repairs what so ever to worry about.
If production is now shut down, as all the rumors seem to indicate, the only way to get a new Insight may be if one is floating around American Honda with no prospective buyer. The dealerships can always send out an inquiry to other dealers. They should all be more than willing to ship an Insight if a serious buyer is around (and if an Insight is available).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.