Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel quite fortunate. I purchased my '01 5 speed in August with 120,000 kms on it, and have only driven it about 1,200 km, and a lot of it on a hilly road. It has been fun to have so far.

Last week the IMA light came on, and I found a P1447 code with an OBD2 code reader. The Assist and Charge seem to be working normally, but the fuel consumption has gone from about 3.5 l/100km to 5.5. Ouch, although it has been a lot of short trips with defroster, wipers, lights in our rainy winter. I am also running on new Potenza tires which may be adding to fuel consumption.

I took it to the local Honda dealer who found that the car was delivered to its first owner on December 27, 2000. I'm thinking it was someone's Christmas present! That left me exactly three weeks of warranty.

They simply told me that it needs a new IMA battery, and it's covered under the 10 year/240,000 km warranty, and will be installed this week. The battery serial number is B00000020 704

I believe that the control modules were replaced years ago, also under warranty.

My questions:
1. Is there anything I should ensure the dealer does to reset the electronics or battery meter ? Or is it all routine and automated ?

2. Is there anything I should do to 'break in' the new battery pack ? Do I have to be gentle, or tough ?

Please, give me a link to an existing thread or article if it exists. I just didn't find one.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
You are the first person outside of the United States that I'm aware of that has received a battery replacement outside of the original 8 year/80k mile warranty on the components. As far as I knew it was only a 50 state deal. Maybe I've missed a post somewhere where someone else has gotten it covered in Canada but if I were in Canada and it was my car, I'd feel very lucky right now!

Your questions:
1. Is there anything I should ensure the dealer does to reset the electronics or battery meter ? Or is it all routine and automated ?

When the car is first started after the 12v battery is reattached, the car goes into a relearn of the battery, it isn't critical that you do this but the manual says to hold the RPMs to the point where the car will go into a forced charge until the charge gauge stops showing it is charging and then when you go back to idle you can see the battery gauge tick up to the top and stop. The engine speed to do that in my experience is 3200+ but if you let it drop below that it stops the charge, so I'd hang around 3300 but higher than 3500 would be unnecessary.

You probably don't need to bug your dealer about it, if you get the car and it doesn't show full, just do the battery relearn yourself in the parking lot.

Many forum members have said that the car will do this with its first positive recalibration while driving on its own and that it is a waste of gas. It only takes a minute or two at 3300RPM though so it wouldn't be that much gas IMO. It's up to you, worse case scenario you would pull the 12v battery or pull the fuse and redo it.

2. Is there anything I should do to 'break in' the new battery pack ? Do I have to be gentle, or tough?

Nothing you wouldn't normally do. Be sure to get some use from the pack instead of having it sit there doing nothing and don't park the car for a very long time without driving it and your next battery should last a long time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Reading the beginning of the post, it appears that there was some type of extended warranty in Canada.

Honda's original extended warranty in the US states only applied to those that were considered warmer climate states (in terms of temperature - apparently put more stress on the battery pack with overheating).

Later, Honda decided to honor the extended US warranty to all 50 states and that is why title of the post you discovered is labled as such.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Bruce!

Nice to see another Canadian.
I am in Calgary and had my battery replaced under warranty this summer.
Mine is a 2002 model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back on the Road

The new battery is in, the car looks the same, but I'm back to 4.0 l/100 km or so in the mixed city/hwy, cold, wet and dark we're experiencing here lately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts