Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the begining, they were using bigger oil filter with 4x1 L. or so.

Now when I look at the part list, its a different oil filter with 3x1 L.

So far no difference...but last week when I started this insight, all the lights were on (cristmass light style FTW!)

So I looked at my oil to see if it was not related to VTec issue (Safe mode was on so cut off at 4500 rmp)

My oil was way too low.

I am no more running the insight under sever condition (Summer time in quebec +15km per day)

Its true, my oil change was done 7000km away but still it shouldnt be problematic.

I got no oil leaking in my driveway and I dont see blue smoke from accelerating. So the only way I see I could take so much oil is because I missed some from the start...

My Question now...Am I the only one having this kind of issue, and Am I the only one having little oil filter with less oil in engine?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Insight uses only 2.5 Liters of engine oil.
It's common for dealers to overfill it.
ALWAYS check the oil level as soon as the mechanic gives you the keys back after anybody changes your oil. Never assume they put the right amount of oil in your engine.
It's a good idea to get in the habit of quickly checking the oil level and all easily accessible fluid levels whenever refueling is required. To help notice any potential issues early.

The Insight oil filter is smaller then a civic oil filter.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I will bet you one seedless grape a day for life that your dealer if left to his or her own devices will overfill the oil!

I hope you like grapes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
figgy, I don't doubt what you say may well be true, but I have checked my dealer oil change oil levels every time (3 so far), and the oil level has been spot on every time (Norm Reeves Honda, Cerritos, CA).

I have not checked the filter, however, so thanks for the heads-up on that one!

Regarding intervals, I have my Insight oil changed every 5,000 miles instead of the 7,000 that Honda recommends. On my Miata, I change it every 3,000 miles, but since the Insight uses synthetic oil, I figure it's good for an extra 2,000 miles over the petroleum based oil in the Miata.

Or maybe I'm just over-protective.

Best Regs,
Rick / 2006 CVT

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just brought my car in for it's annual inspection and figured that while I was at it I would have them change the oil too. When the oil was drained it definitely did not look like 2+ quarts came out. What should have been a routine job became a little problematic when the mechanic went to put the plug back in and found out that the threads in the aluminum oil pan had been stripped.

A little history here... all previous oil changes have all been performed at a dealership, and yes, on two occaisions I found that one of the dealerships (the one I no longer deal with) had overfilled the oil even thought I specifically told them what the cars oil capacity was.

So, if your oil level is low, you may be leaking some from around the drain plug. Since there is a plastic shield below the oil pan, any leakage will fall here and is unlikely to show up in your driveway (there was quite an accumulation of oil on my shield when I had mine changed today).

As for me, I will be calling the dealership and speaking to them about replacing my oil pan.

Chris in Washington, NH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts