Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:!:
I just talked to my service guy this AM. he said he just got off the phone with Honda Care and they said that the mcm and bcm are not covered. Why? i have not seen anyone else post like this. what do i call and ask/say to them?
my car is 2000 5spd, 2nd owner, certified used, 56k miles or so......
whats going on?
if it is not going to be covered, is this something that one can replace themselves?

thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
kookmyers said:
:!:
I just talked to my service guy this AM. he said he just got off the phone with Honda Care and they said that the mcm and bcm are not covered. Why? i have not seen anyone else post like this. what do i call and ask/say to them?
my car is 2000 5spd, 2nd owner, certified used, 56k miles or so......
whats going on?
if it is not going to be covered, is this something that one can replace themselves?

thanks
These parts are covered under the 8yr, 80K IMA warranty. I'd find another dealer. They either don't understand the warranty language, or they are boning you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
American Honda Customer Service 1-800-999-1009

I complained (aka, nicely asked if they could consider a goodwill extention) and they fixed it for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
talked to honda care (800-999-5901) like my dealer said to and they confirmed that they werent going to pay for it. they said i needed to call honda at the number you guys said and they said it is covered. why am i dealing with the dealer if they dont even know the product? ugh.
well, another insight is on the lot waiting for parts. its been there 4 weeks and its date is Nov 21. i am obviously after that. this sucks......

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,112 Posts
mcmbcm

Which dealer in the San Diego area are you using? Time to put them on the BAD list.

AT 104,000 miles had my IMA battery, BCM,MCM replaced "under warranty" at a local honda dealership. Took two days to get the parts in (I still drove the car while the parts were on order) Went in for the replacement and I was out of there in 4 hours.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow. that sounds like a good experience. The final outcome is that the parts are covered by Honda. But my guy made it very clear (although i choose not to belive him) that honda is taking care of me because they want to and not because they have to....
My parts are on order. I had a rental for 4 days and drove it 100 miles. it cost me $10 to fill it back to where it was when i got it.
So, i picked up my insight. I am expecting that i will not see the parts for about 6 weeks. another insight on the lot is has been waiting and their parts are due nov 21 or so.
Is there anything i should have them do as maintenance? i am right around 60K and might as well have them do stuff while the car is there.
(i do my own oil/filter/air filter changes)
thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pacific honda.
they have been nice but it seems they do not have a lot of experience with this car.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,112 Posts
mcm

Tipton Honda in El Cajon is my preference for parts and what little warranty work I have had done.
The "head mechanic" is also the Hybid gru.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
talked to my case rep from honda.
they cleared a rental for me. i asked him about the MCM and BCM and he informed me that my dealer was correct in telling me that they are not covered under warranty but Honda is choosing to cover them at no charge to me. They only fall under the 3-36k warranty.
oh well. all is good.
cant wait to reset my LMPG with my new modules and battery.

·
Registered
242 Posts
MCM and BCM

kookmyers said:
(snip) They only fall under the 3-36k warranty. (snip)
I was (maybe mistakenly) under the impression that everything that had to do with the IMA system was part of the emissions control system and all of that is covered by the 8/80.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Look in the warranty coverage manual. If you don't have it you can see it if you sign up for the Honda owners link. On the 2000 one it doesn't show those parts, but on my 02 warranty manual it does say BCM and MCM. If it came down to it, I'd present my case with a newer warranty sheet and see if they didn't notice.

·
Registered
303 Posts
So the moral of the story is...

whine up the ladder and they'll cover the parts?

I mean "whine" in the best possible way. I'm glad to hear it's covered (since you're waiting so long, try to get that in writing) as I think they should cover the parts; the "Certification" for a used car is so expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From what I understand, all Insights in California have a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty on all hybrid related parts. My IMA battery and controllers went out on me at 121,000 miles. Parts were replaced under warranty but I had to pay for labor costs of 500.00. It has something to do with the Insight being viewed as having new technology.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Cuaman said:
From what I understand, all Insights in California have a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty on all hybrid related parts.
Can anyone confirm this? For obvious reasons, I'd like to know and if so, have some means of proof, just in case. I've always thought it was 8/80.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Another home grown (AFAI remember here @IC) urban legend.

It's a half truth. There is an emmissions rating whereby a ULEV rated car can be sold under to "achieve" this "higher" ranking in some states. CA, NY are the two I remember.

And under this "higher" emmission rating the emmission's warranty is simply extended to the numbers quoted. There's nothing else different about the car(s). And in this scenairo the IMA system would also be included

However, AFAIK and as far as has been reported in this group there have been _NO_ Insights sold with this applied. Its a manufacturer's choice. Not something that you can "upgrade" to, although the Honda Care extended warranty comes the closest.

I believe the Civic GX (natural gas) is the only model that this currently applies. Again not because the fuel is necessairly "cleaner" (and it IS in this case) but simply because to achieve the different emission rating the manufacturer chooses to sell it under that ranking (TULEV :?: ) and therefore by definition the warranty (emissions parts) is extended.

HTH! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts