Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping one of you guys who are experienced with the IMA and electrics can help me with this.

I have had my 2001 5sp in to the dealer 4 times now.

My understanding of the way the forced recharge is supposed to work is that any time the SOC meter is less than about ½ or as others have posted 14 bars it will force recharge about 3 to 4 bars even on light acceleration or cruising speed.

My car started not to do this although the SOC would be down to 4 or 5 bars. We took it in and the dealer reset the IMA (disconnected the 12v for 1 min) and said there are no error codes and it works fine. Well that fixes it for a while. Then it quits again. So I start trying different things and find that the only thing that changes the charge is when I turn on the A/C and the compressor comes on. Wow that made it go right into forced recharge and 4 bars appear. Turn off the compressor and off go the charge bars. I can toggle the forced recharge back and forth with turning the A/C compressor on and off.

What makes this even worse is, It doesn’t do this all the time. It will not recharge correctly for maybe two days and then all of sudden start working right. It may work correctly for a week or one day and then back to no forced recharge and the battery running less than ½ SOC.

Does anyone have an idea on this.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Sounds like some of the normal quirks of the IMA system and a reflection of a normally aging IMA battery pack :(

Try the headlights on trick :!: (works like your A/C on "trick" but is easier on gas ;) )

We need to know model year and transmission type. 03's and up have newer MCM's & BCM's that reportedly reduce this type of occurrence. CVT's by design handle the IMA batteries more carefully and should also reduce this situation.

SEE:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
If your battery charge is low, IMA charges the battery even if you don't see any bars, it will keep charging unless you floor it then it will stop until you back off the gas pedal.

MIMA shows the charge better than the stock system, it's amazing how it is charging most of the time.

With MIMA you can also turn off hidden charge.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that it is charging all the time, but it used to show 4 bars when you droped below the half mark.

I've tried the headlights and even all the electric wipers, rear window defrost ect, and the only thing that makes it charge at 4 or more bars is the AC compressor.

It is a 2001 5sp with 75K miles on it. I checked the numbers on the MCM and BCM and the MCM is 1K000-PHM305 and on the BCM 1K000-PHM305.

It seems to me to be a short. Why would it act and charge normal some times and others this quirk with only turning on the Compressor? When it does this it never even gets the battery up to 3/4 on SOC meter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts