Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had dealer 15,000 mile service done on my 2001, Edwin, (purchased a few months ago) and the dealer did NOT replace the pollen filter even though it was way past the 24 month limit according to the manual and 15k service requirements. They also overfilled the oil by about 1.5 pints and maybe should have replace the air filter.

Edwin's pollen filter was very dirty, and I have replaced it. I also replaced his air filter which was dirty.

For the GF's Insight, Jane, a different dealer did the 15,000 mile service about 5 months ago (Jane is also a 2001, bought used a few months ago for GF). They also did NOT replace the pollen filter, even though it to should have been replaced by 24 month limit. Her air filter is also a bit questionable. They didn't replace that either.

I will replace both myself. Likely her pollen filter is very dirty as well.

:?: Questions :?:

When others have their dealers do these services, do they also miss these kinds of things?

Are all dealers like this?

Are your dealers happy that you do things yourself, or do they wag their finger at you and lecture about voiding warranties?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
do they also miss these kinds of things? Yes
Are all dealers like this? I think that most are
Are your dealers happy that you do things yourself? No
do they wag their finger at you and lecture about voiding warranties?Yes
But a man s'got to do what a man s'got to do. I am only confident about the work done on my car when it is I that did it.
I did the AC filter myself too, it was full of leaves. Felt weird to have to cut the plastic bar.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The dealer clearly missed a sales opportunity in that the 15K maintenance was incorrect for the _time_ on your car. The maintenance section in the Honda service manual states time -or- miles. OTOH its both unusual for time to exceed miles and if you specified the specific maintenance you wanted... Unless its clearly the wrong thing to do no car repair facility will argue with a customer on such a fine point. By time you are due for the 30K maintenance.

A pint overfill? 1/2 quart appears to be the normal error factor and is all too common. (1pt=1/2qt)

No business is "happy" about loosing such. However, a good facility will cheerfully work with you and do what elements of the maintenance you choose not to.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hmm, I'd have to say Honda Service is Hit or Miss. My local service used to be great but my last two times were crap and not everything got done. They don't even wash my car anymore and it's listed on the invoice. I'm going to check out a dealer a little further from my house. I've heard good things about them, but this will be the last time for basic oil change from the dealership. I don't think my dealership cares about me now that my warranty is out.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nobody cares as much about your car as you.

Plenty of people care about your money, though...Mostly how they can get some of it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wonder how many Insight owners right now have over filled oil in there car because of the dealer?

Most people never check there oil level, after all it is a new car and serviced by trained mechs.. :(

You should write a letter to your regions Honda center. Its located in the back of your manual. See my letter to honda on the problems section

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pollen Filter Pics

I posted my pollen filter pics:

http://fungiart.com/insight/pollenfilter.html

There is some merriment :lol: amidst the documentation as a distraction, so if you have a small browser window you have to scroll down a tad to get past the merriment and get to the images.

The point is that this filter was a filthy mess with less than 15,000 miles, and I bet that they should be changed at least once a year if not more often.

My air flow seems better now, and it sure is cleaner.

p.s. This was for Edwin. I'll post details on how it is done (including chopping up the plastic bit) when I do it again on Jane.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been wondering about this pollen filter thing, as I have yet to get the owner's manual. I took the glove box off and there's a large black box with no easy way in. Do you have to cut that vertical plastic bar with the clip on the bottom to change the filter? Really? In that case it's never been done in the 50k miles on mine, bet it's not going to be pretty.

Am I likely to find a local source for these (Auto Zone, Pep Boys) or should I not waste my time and just order off the net?

-jc

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure yours is dirty as sin.

I got my filter a handa-accessories.com on-line. They shipped it the day I placed the order, and I had it in about 36 hours.

I'll post pictures soon, but the text detail is as follows:

You remove the glove box, and then the center console area piece (described in the threads about replacing the radio). Right across the bottom area of the glove box and across the vertical air filter holder is a silver metal cross piece with a grey plastic piece right up against it. This is directly in front of you, horizontal, parallel to the bundled wires which are in the little clips. Near the ends of the metal cross bar, but on the plastic strut, are some small slots cut in the plastic strut indicating where to cut it (this is explained also in the Honda Service Manual). You snip the plastic strut there, remove the central portion, take out the metal strut, and then you can un-hook the filter holder and slide it out easily. Take out the old one (which is probably blacker than coal at 50,000 miles) and drop the new one into the plastic holder. Then reinsert.

I'll be doing this on another Insight soon, and I'll take the detailed pictures as I do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
figgy said:
I'll be doing this on another Insight soon, and I'll take the detailed pictures as I do it.
I'll take another look at it with your instructions and see if I can work it out. Otherwise I've got a service manual coming to guide me along. I suppose I could take some pictures too, but maybe someone who knows how to do the operation should.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
334 Posts
So, if the dealer is supposed to replace the filter and hasn't done it. Could you then take your Insight back to the Dealer Service, with all of your service recipts, and show them it has never been done and demand you get all of the filters you were supposed to have for free?

I'm pretty sure mine has been done, but I'll check anyway. :wink:

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think they might try to charge you for the filters, but I don't think they could add an extra labor charge as that should be part of the flat fee for the 15,000 service.

Perhaps that is why they never bother to do it! They would have to spend more time than worth it to them given the fuss and bother.

I can't remember without looking at my bill if they charge on top of the service for an oil filter, for example. That would be a way to bait and switch, which sounds like a nice ploy to foist upon innocents.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got my filter for the other car (16 hours after I ordered it on line). It's nice to live in the same state as the vendor.

I'll try to do photos of that one today.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pollen Filter Replacement How to

I have posted the detailed pictorial history of Jane's pollen filter / cabin air filter replacement.

Visit:

http://fungiart.com/insight/

and click on the "pollen filter replacement how to" link next to the tools icon.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you like that, just wait until I post the pictures of when I melted down the engine block in a crucible and then re-assembled it with atomic tweezers!

·
Registered
700 Posts
figgy said:
If you like that, just wait until I post the pictures of when I melted down the engine block in a crucible and then re-assembled it with atomic tweezers!
:lol:

You have an electron microscope in your garage too? Cool...

And they said nanotech was a solution looking for a problem.

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Pollen Filter Replacement How to

figgy said:
I have posted the detailed pictorial history of Jane's pollen filter / cabin air filter replacement.

Visit:

http://fungiart.com/insight/

and click on the "pollen filter replacement how to" link next to the tools icon.
That rocks! I just printed that out and will be replacing mine tonight. I've had the filter for a while, but wasn't solid about the procedure. Now I am. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: Pollen Filter Pics

figgy said:
I posted my pollen filter pics:

http://fungiart.com/insight/pollenfilter.html

The point is that this filter was a filthy mess with less than 15,000 miles, and I bet that they should be changed at least once a year if not more often.
I just replaced my filter. Bought my car used 5 months ago and had no idea when or if it was replaced. It had been, as the plastic rail had already been removed, but it was really dirty, dark on both sides!

By the way, your pictures were really helpfull, thanks! When I got ready to replace the metal bar I wasn't exactly sure how it fit with the other components. Your pics made it clear. Man, that left bolt it a pain in the rear! I did end up busting one of the plastic clips off the center console peice, but after putting it back together it seems real solid, so I'm not going to sweat it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts