Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 90k miles on my Insight and the 100k mile extended warranty. I brought it into the Honda dealer to look at the shifter (I have a CVT) because I don't think the cable is disengaging fully. Also, I have the bucking problem that I have been reading about on this site, so I asked them to look at the EGR valve.

They came back and said that:

1. The shifter cable may need replacement and that would be covered by the warranty.

2. The EGR valve is not pulling a code, therefore we can't do anything about it. I said that it didn't need to pull a code, that it bucks when driving and therefore they need to fix what is causing that because that is not within normal operating paramenters. They say they will drive it and see. My guess is that it will magically not buck when they drive it.

3. They also advised me to take care of a problem that I had not even brought to their attention. They pointed out that the car "shudders" after initial takeoff from a stop. They claim this is because "varnish" has built up in the CVT transmission and therefore the transmission should be flushed in order to take care of this shuddering and prevent future transmission problems. Naturally this is a wear issue and is not covered by the warranty. Keep in mind I have followed Honda's service schedule completely. In my opinion this $150 transmission "flush" to take care of takeoff shuddering (which in my opinion is characteristic of all CVTs, including properly functioning ones) is nothing but a dishonest attempt to make some money off of me while I have the car in the dealership for warranty work. What do you think? Before I complain to Honda about this dealer's tactics, I would like to verify with you guys what is suspect, that this transmission flush is just b.s. designed to make money off of suckers.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I would not bother with a flush (rinsing out with solvent), but a change of the transmission oil sounds like a good plan. I've never changed the fluid in my 5-speed, but in my automatics, I drain & fill the transmission with fresh fluid every 100,000 miles.

Transmission fluid is just any other oil... over time it breaks down from the heat & needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
What is the maintenence interval in the service manual for replacing the CVT fluid?
I would not expect this fluid to last the life of the car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Guillermo said:
What is the maintenance interval in the service manual for replacing the CVT fluid?
I'm not sure but I think it is fairly high (45,000 miles or more).

I have a "drain & fill" done on my CVT every 15,000 miles and since they switched to the "new" CVT fluid the change has been noticeably better (see: No more herky-jerky ) 8)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses. Yes, I have followed Honda's recommended service intervals for CVT fluid changes and even had this Honda dealer do them for me.

As far as the herky jerky thing goes, as predicted Honda said they couldn't replicate the problem and the EGR valve isn't pulling a code so they claim that is not the problem. What a surprise. The warranty really is only as good as the people you expect to honor it, and, in my opinion, that means it is not real useful.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Good thing we have small-claims courts.

Often times Honda does not show up, and the customer wins the warranty claim by default (or so I've read.... fortunately I've never had to go to court).

·
Registered
274 Posts
I thought the Honda owners manual call sfor a CVT fluid change at 30K. I had mine done by Honda at 30K but they put the ATF Z-1 fluid in instead of the CVT specific That I had asked for. I recently drained out the ATF Z-1 and refilled with CVT specific. Semms alittle smoother, less jerky. I will need to do another drain/refill to remove the remaining mixture and refill again with CVT specific fluid. I had my EGR valve replaced under warranty without a ny CEL showing. I just told them that the EGR valves were a known problem in Insights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts