Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my 2001 Insight serviced (oil & filter change; tire rotation). A few days later while driving to work I heard a loud clunking and scraping sound underneath the car. When I finally got to where I could pull over I looked underneath the car. On the right (passenger) side I saw what looks like a plastic splash apron or cover of some kind hanging loose with only one bolt holding it in place. The part was pretty much destroyed and fell off of the car a few miles up the road despite my best efforts to try and tuck it out of the way. There is also one of these pieces on the other side of the car and it looked fine. I note that both of these aprons/covers appear to be attached by bolts or screws to what looks like an aluminum skid plate under the front of the car.

I'm by no means an expert on changing oil on a Honda Insight so my question is this-would the dealer's mechanic have been required to remove some of the attaching bolts/screws in order to perform the oil change? If so, I believe the dealer owes me a free replacement. Also, is there any harm in operating the car without this piece? I assume it might have something to do with airflow and my mileage might suffer a bit, but does anyone see any harm aside from that?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts exactly! I seem to recall from reading another thread on this forum that there are ten screws that have to be removed to have access to the oil drain plug, and I assume the screws to this shield are among them. Am I correct?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yet another reason to do you own oil changes! Dealership goons are idiots and always seem to forget bolts. If you must use them for service know what they have to do and look over the work afterwards. Every single time I've ever used a service department I have always had to show them where they forgot bolts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This story has a happy ending. I took my Insight to the dealer because my CEL light came on twice (and went out in a few days), and I wanted to have it checked out and any necessary repairs done before the 8/80 emissions warranty expired. I mentioned the splash apron issue to the tech. The dealer stepped right up to the plate and agreed to accept responsibility. The new part is on order.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
When you pick it up make sure you look at everything they did. Since they forgot bolts before, they will forget them again.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Strakes

Those air dams in front of the front wheels. When I picked up my 2005 Insight back in May I found them wrapped in a plastic bag in the trunk. I thought, "I can put these on myself,? and I did. I haven't been back to the dealer since.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Same kind of thing happened to me -- my mechanic didn't put the skirt screws back on correctly, and one came out. Nearly lost my skirt!! :shock:

I made them pay for the $8 replacement screw. Then they tried to lecture *me* about it, how easy it was to put those on incorrectly, like *I* was the one who had done it wrong... you guys just did my rear brakes, don't try to pin this one on me!

Needless to say, now I always take my own skirts off, and I don't go back to that mechanic (they weren't a dealership, and totally boned me on some "work" that my Accord wagon *didn't* need done...).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts