Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got a call from my local dealer and he sez there aren't any in the great state of Illinois. So that leaves me with my tackle dangling in the wind. So my question to you, my dear insighters, is does anyone know of any dealers in the midwest, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Missouri or Kentucky where I might actually be able to get my grubby paws on a new 5sp?

TIA,
Joe

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Unfortunately you may have quite a search on your hands. The production for this year of the Insight was capped back in March I think so there are no new ones being produced. I'm not in your area, but I only know of one new CVT Insight within several hundred miles of here. 5 Speeds are even harder to come by. Your best bet is to try and find a dealership that will do a search for you beyond your area, you might be able to find one. You may also want to watch eBay, there was a new blue 5 speed on there not too long ago. You may also want to consider the used market as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
St Louis Honda (Dave Mungenast Honda) in south St Louis Missouri has a new CVT, but I haven't seen a new 5 speed in the area since I started looking for mine back in March.

I'd recommend using cars.com to find a used one. You'll save several thousand over a new one and from my experience so far, Insight owners take great care of their cars.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Ext1jdh:

___Are you really heart set on a new one? The depreciation is very steep on our little beauties and although purchasing used is a big step if you haven’t done it before, the initial cost should make up for any fixes that might need to be performed. I know where an 02 CVT w/ 100 miles on it was sitting a few weeks ago. The Honda dealer right off I-55 and Route 30. There were (3) brand new 02 CVT’s sitting on a Honda dealers lot up near Oshkosh IIRC a few months ago but 5-speeds, I have never seen any in our neck of the woods. I picked up my Honda Certified, 28,421 mile new, 2000 5-speed in December for just $10K from a Honda dealer in Sioux Falls, SD. of all places. It had a great lmpg, low miles, was well taken care of, and all the warranty service and recall records were available from the Honda dealer’s database. I don’t know if you will find that kind of deal on a vehicle that was taken care of as well as this one was with today’s gas prices but AutoTrader.com and Cars.com is a great place to start as that is where I found her (Autotrader) just 6 months ago this week.

___As for timing, the summer driving season with the highest gas prices of all time is probably the worst time you could try to pick one up if you wanted to save $’s. If you can wait until late fall or early winter, I bet you will see gas prices come down a bit and with the winter months fast approaching, it will probably cause more disinterested Insighter’s to want to move to something a bit easier to drive in the inclement weather?

___As an edit, I thought I saw a brand new 2002 or 2003 5-speed posted up on E-Bay from a dealer in Michigan a few months ago? The price didn’t meet the reserve IIRC so they still might have it? That was a while ago so I may be passing on false information? Take it for what it is worth and hopefully you will get lucky?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:31zb0435][email protected][/email:31zb0435]

·
Registered
700 Posts
There was one at my local dealer a few weeks ago. Don't know if it is still there or not. If it is not too far:

Flow Honda, Winston-Salem, NC

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I really appreciate everything.

Unfortunately I've had several bad experiences with used cars of many type so I'm set on a new one. I've been looking for an excuse to go on a road trip ad this just might be the ticket.

I just wish Honda had a dealer inventory like Jeep does.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Ext1jdh:

___I just had a look through the last 2 weeks of E-Bay auctions and the used 2000 and 2001’s with relatively low miles on them are still going out for decent prices. One that caught my eye was a Blue 2001 5-speed w/ Air and CD changer including an extended Honda warranty (I think it was a Honda Certified warranty actually?) for $8,500 or less. It had 42,000 miles on it but looked pristine from the pics and description. Even the lmpg wasn’t too terrible at 58.7 mpg …

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 48978&rd=1

___I hope you find a new one but if you don’t, there used 5-speed Insight’s going for decent prices if you have patience. I was actually amazed at the prices I saw given the price of gas as of late …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:8m099i72][email protected][/email:8m099i72]

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I was looking for my car (used) I did at least a weekly search of :

cars.com
carsdirect.com
autobytel.com
autotrader.com
ebay.com

Local papers

If you are looking for a "37" car (VIN code for 5sp, AC) autotrader.com shows one at "Lakeland Auto" Sheboygan, WI. Although it looks like the vast majority seem to be "47" cars (CVT, AC)

Good Luck

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Corey, I saw that one in Sheboygan. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if its still there. Wish me luck

Thanks all

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know where you can get a new one in the midwest. La Crosse, Wisconsin, http://www.hondamotorwerks.com. They have a pretty nice selection of Hybrid Vehicles new and used. You should give them a call. They are trying to become the largest hybrid dealer in the country.

They always have something :)

Matt

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is so cool. I found my exact model at hondamotorwerks as well as a silver one and a 2001 in citrus. If the blue isn't available at La Crosse I'll have to start a bidding war between them and Sheboygan.

MattP, Corey872, you guys have made my month

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
A good person to talk to in the Madison, WI area is Keith Toman of Zimbrick Honda. 800-362-5497 ext 703. Call him directly and see what they have available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
minneapolis area dealers

Hi there:

There are a couple of dealers near Minneapolis (MN) where I usually see Insights around. One is Burnsville Honda in the suburbs (http://www.hondadealer.com/burnsville/) - they have a new Insight on their inventory list currently. Another one where I often see Insights is Richfield-Bloomington Honda. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts