Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks -

For a rather odd question, how a persistently negative a reaction have some folks gotten from a significant number of coworkers etc. after getting something as untraditional as an Insight, especially when many coworkers can likely barely afford to keep their existing normal transportation because of lack of work?

My respect for the CRX, for good science and for good aircraft places the Insight front and center (and alone really) in what I consider a worthy successor to the great but excessively rust-prone car type I've been driving seemingly forever.

But pretty much all the folks I work with, good people I like working with, are very much truck and/or (imported) horsepower people. The folks I work with the most consider the Insight a combination of "hideous" and "dog-slow" and "would never drive something that looked like it dropped from outer space" (that last comment came from someone who wishes for a Tacoma hybrid). I think familiarity will help them get used to it, and the end result could significantly advance their vistas regarding what's possible regarding cars vs. gizmo-laden overweight versions of "same thing, different decade". Hidden, status quo -disapproved sincere personal interest could possibly be surprisingly well opened up at the car's appearance. Or, as things generally get worse there anyway after a merger and with the deepening recession, it could just add in a way to folks' irritation levels as they increasingly miss the old status quo.

I'd normally take each jibe as an opportunity to point out the errors in their assumptions in a friendly way, but that could go on long enough to get really annoying for everyone. Folks would eventually accept that "ok, Mr. Science+Aircraft here wants to drive around in a fuselage-shaped lab experiment, whatever, I know he'll still work well however wimpy and alien his transport is, but that old-school Civic was nice (ignoring its rust)... I hope he's not going bonkers".

In short, how many folks have found the sudden presence of their Insight among a forest of very traditional vehicles permanently welcomed somewhat like a healthy immune system welcomes a virus?

(BTW, these folks are all mechanically adept and would respect an Insight's engineering, while possibly making sure to look away as they walk past it in the parking lot and shaking their head at how its owner traded a 1.6L's 8000 rpm full-power redline for a 1L's relatively powerless 6000 rpm redline.)

TIA,
Roger
'86 D16A1-powered very autocross-grade Civic Si (29.4 LMPG over 3 years, minimal highway w/ lots of stop and go), preceded by CRXes.
Saving up for a pref. silver MT Insight (sustainable transport, pref. over massive years)

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Don't worry about it. Just politely laugh at their comments -- like you realize they are just giving you a hard time. Let them drive what they want to drive. When somebody genuinely asks how you like the Insight, let them know how much you love it. You may find that all your coworkers need is somebody to break the mold -- it might give somebody else the courage to think outside the box. And if gas in the USA gets really expensive again, they might quit laughing.

-Bryan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Easiest way to explain it to those with grey hair is a practical two seater sports car with performance about like the brit sports cars of their youth, with far better gas milage and engineering. I can carry more stuff in it than I can in the new fashion 4 seat econoboxes like skis and paddles. And for those with real gray hair have a look at the old 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder Saabs which are remarkably similar in size and concept.

·
Administrator
10,696 Posts
Remember you are laughing all the way to the petrol pump, and are driving the most interesting and economical production car in the US.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Easiest way to explain it to those with grey hair is a practical two seater sports car with performance about like the brit sports cars of their youth, with far better gas milage and engineering. I can carry more stuff in it than I can in the new fashion 4 seat econoboxes like skis and paddles. And for those with real gray hair have a look at the old 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder Saabs which are remarkably similar in size and concept.
Why thank you so much, I understand my Insight much better now.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I had similar reactions from the lumpenproletariat.

But check this, one of the more vociferous characters (its full of batteries, it can' go anywhere) paid £33k for a Volvo cabriolet, 3 years down the line, presenting his immaculate 25,000 mile car to his dealer they offered £8k.

"We can't sell them they use too much petrol".

malcolm

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Well, my experience of co-workers is that some like it, some don't, and some just have to say something stupid because they feel they have to.

I work at the design HQ of Land Rover and Jaguar, so most all of the passers by in the car park are either car designers, ( Long pointed Italian shoes, sunglasses perched on top of their heads, even in winter) or Engineers, (Corduroy trousers and a tendency to walk into lampposts while pondering things we wouldn't understand, even if we asked):)

The upshot of this is that one of those passers by has gone and bought himself one, so as of last Sunday, there are now two Insights doing sterling service for their tight fisted owners, ensuring the tax man gets short shrift when he reaches out towards our pockets via the petrol pump and the vehicle excise duty!

I can even get to work in the Insight cheaper than the car share option that I use now and again.....

To paraphrase two of our UK comedians, (so this will be lost on most of you) ........."it's "yippee" from me, and "yippee" from him."

·
Registered
161 Posts
The important thing is what YOU think of the Insight. I drive a Honda Civic Hybrid and have heard my share of silly comments for sure. Some guys evidently view their big ole gas guzzling trucks as "extensions".

Peer pressure is for teenagers not grownups, make your own choices.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nine months ago when gas was over $4 a gallon, those kind of folks weren't laughing at my Insight, they were envious. When fuel prices get that high again and more (they will) you will get the last laugh!

In the meantime, just enjoy driving your Insight. It's nice to stand out from the crowd!

·
3,641 Posts
Peer pressure is for teenagers not grownups, make your own choices.
My exact sentiments!

If you have to worry about "what will the neighbors think?" - don't get one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My exact sentiments!

If you have to worry about "what will the neighbors think?" - don't get one.
Oh, I'm definitely getting one, that's not the issue. Simply defending the choice to stagnant, ill-informed minds would be one of the easiest, most effortless things in my life; it's still getting along with the most stagnant, entrenched and therefor potentially increasingly bitter of those mindsets (which I have to work with to some extent no matter what) afterwards that I had concerns about. But thank you for the reminder that the stagnancy, fixed and potentially bitter nature of those mindsets, by that nature, defines them as not worth absolutely insisting on getting along with.

And I keep reading of how the Insight is a hoot to drive in ways one would never have thought of. Multiple eons ago I was a Mustang/Capri guy, then reluctantly switched to an '81 Civic 1500DX with a seemingly astronomical 181k miles after I had had it with Ford's "five martini lunch engineering" as I thought of it. That eager little Civic was a total hoot to drive in ways I had never expected. I'm getting the impression the Insight is comparable (but with much better CRX DX -level highway performance). So I'd be enjoying my drives to and from work while the grumpies mope about in their trucks.

Thanks.
Roger

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Oh, I'm definitely getting one, that's not the issue.

And I keep reading of how the Insight is a hoot to drive in ways one would never have thought of.
After you've had it a while, you can up the enjoyment factor by adding a MIMA. You can explain to your co-workers that you weren't satisfied with only 70 mpg.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow... :rolleyes:

Just think... to go back and forth to work, I'd love to have a fun, cool vehicle with great mileage, maybe like... oh, a motorcycle... but there's so much downside to a motorcycle... I wish there was a larger, safer, secure vehicle with great mileage, that didn't have to be balanced everytime I stopped, that has a climate control and some sort of cover so it wouldn't rain or snow on me, with great mileage, that has a decent radio I can hear above the traffic noise, that allows me to carry a passenger sometimes, with great mileage, that has secure locking for a bunch of my stuff, that's reliable, that's good looking, that doesn't have to go 100 miles an hour since I just commute back and forth to work in it and there's trafic and kids and cops everywhere so I can't really drive that fast, that doesn't cost a boatload of money to buy or insure or store, with great mileage, and that holds its value... let me think, now... wait a minute... wait a minute... wait for it... :banana:

How about... an Insight?!? :D

Let the droolers drive their huge cars and trucks, and you just go on smiling and waving as you pass by... I mean, really, it's just jealous rantings by the uninformed, and secretly (or not so secretly), they're just curious and begging you for a ride sometime... they can just go on driving their :weapons80:s while you cruuuuuuuuise on in your Insight...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts