Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On most Sunday afternoons I drive from the gym to my parents house. In the middle is the steepest hill in the city where I live. It hits 17.1% at its steepest part (correction - apperrently that's the overall gradient. Parts are steeper).

Here's the section of route: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Rivelin+Valley+Rd/A6101&daddr=Benty+Ln&hl=en-GB&ll=53.384915,-1.52298&spn=0.013668,0.07021&sll=53.380948,-1.522229&sspn=0.003417,0.017552&geocode=FYOnLgMdTMbo_w;FRqGLgMd68Lo_w&mra=ls&t=m&z=14

I estimate it's about 600m long climb of very steep uphill. It starts at a junction from a main road so you're starting it at no more than 15-20 mph. There is another 90° bend (actually a junction but drivers going uphill have priority) part way up that you have to slow down for. Most of the section has a 30mph speed limit. Clearly, it's an mpg killer. Now I could avoid it by taking a longer route but lets assume I can't.

How would you tackle this hill in the most efficient manner in an I2?

Edit: I should add there are unavoidable 10% gradients on the way to both my house (tackled daily) and my parents house. They aren't atypical for this city.

At least I don't have to drive here:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have one upto my brother's house. It'll force regen after 5 secs of climbing (hence I'm eager to get software updates) and knock 1mpg off my average even with 250 miles on the trip and despite it being a half mile long tops! I just potter along at 20mph and try not to work the little engine too much.

No idea if that's the best way. I can't carry momentum into it either.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing the best tactic is to try to hit a BSFC sweet spot. I don't have a BSFC for the I2 though.

At the moment I just trust the car. Put it in S (D is so slow it's painful) and aim for turquoise on the speedo. But yeah - 350 miles into a tank it knocked off about 1mpg at the weekend.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
In America steep segments of road have a slow and fast lane. Assuming there is a slow lane and little traffic Id continue to drive with eco on in drive and mind my business.

If you got traffic and want to move a bit faster or at least keep better control turn off eco, shift to sport and if you got the paddles select a ratio and try to find a sweep spot. Should be about 4200 rpms. This way it also helps to brake the car with a ratio selected.

Most of the grades I come to is at highway speeds, so I just turn off eco or shift to sport til its over. :cool:

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Can't speak for a G2, but I can for my commute to/from work with a G1. As Cobb said, slow lanes over here. I'm in the 'truck' lane poking along slow enough for the ice to pull the car with no assist, around 35 mph. (I use a little assist now and then). No way to use assist the whole way up, even with the new, fully topped 8k pack in the 'Red'.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In America steep segments of road have a slow and fast lane. Assuming there is a slow lane and little traffic Id continue to drive with eco on in drive and mind my business.
Did you see the Google map excerpt in streetview? There's an uphill lane and a downhill lane. The downhill lane gives me no problems ;).

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
No, I dont normally click links.

But Im not being funny. America we have 2 lanes on grades. For up hill you have a slow and fast lane. The slow lane is full of trucks and cavaliers and a few first gen insights. :evil:

Going down hill you have 2 lanes as well. The "other" lane leads to a rocky road built into a ramp like for those who loose their brakes. :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
In the US we do not have such roads on every grade. In this case the road is in a residential area. One that may be quite old. You should try driving in the Hollywood hills sometime. Very narrow and steep streets laid out in the teens and twenties. So narrow that on days when fire risk is high you cannot park so the fire trucks have access. Now highways, interstates, and even newer boulevards do have four lanes. Old mountain roads have either turnouts for slow vehicles to let fast ones pass or sometimes passing lane if there is room. But there is often not room for wider roads. I think that is the case here.

·
Registered
831 Posts
We have a lot of those so called alleys for roadways here in the U.S. Come to Maine and see. One of the old sayings here was "all roads narrow (in Maine)" instead of narrow road section ahead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts