Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the dilemma..
I recently went to the dealership because an O2 sensor went bad. I am around 40500 miles and my warrantee runs out in 1500 miles. I can buy the 100,000 mile extended warrantee for $1175.00, but I will be over 100,000 miles in less than two years. Would it be worth it to pay almost $1200.00 for a warrantee that will gone in 2 years?
Just wondering, and I know you guys might be able to give me some perspective…

·
Registered
303 Posts
my experience...

...with extended warranties is that they're just not worth it.

The most expensive thing I've had such a warranty cover was a headlight failure. I avoided $80 cost, including labor.

HOWEVER, I've never had one with a hybrid, and I've never driven a car 60,000 miles in two years. YMMV. There have been a lot of interesting mechanical failure stories posted here, but it's hard to have a sense of what percentage of subscribers to this forum have had real issues.

I didn't bother to extended the warranty on Mouse since I bought it with less than 12,000 miles on the odometer; the standard certification package was better than new.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The O2 sensor would have been $280 if my warrantee hadn't covered it, so that is what makes me hesitant to let it lapse...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me, I'd say "Hell no, don't buy the warranty." If you have $1200 lying around, take it and put it in some interest-earning place. Then, when two years end and you've not put $1200 worth of repairs into the car, the money is still yours to do with as you like, and has in fact increased. But then, I've never owned a Honda in the 50-100K range, so maybe it will rack up more than $1200 of repairs in two years. I hope not...

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Check out this recent thread:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2403
Even if you do get the extended warranty you may have to argue about
what is covered...Chances are that you will not have to spend more than
$1,175 on parts that are not part of scheduled maintenance within 2 years.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am putting almost as many miles on my car as you are. I'm at 90,000 in just over two years. I got the warranty for around $900 just in case the batteries went bad. If the batteries die in the next 9000 miles, it will have been worth it. If they don't die, then I gambled and lost. If you don't have $1200 to gamble with, then don't get the extended warranty.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___IIRC, if you haven’t made a claim on your Honda Extended Warranty, you can receive a portion of it back as a refund. I am not sure of the details but it is something to look into for those that made that purchase long ago …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2tdt5ucl][email protected][/email:2tdt5ucl]

·
Registered
569 Posts
xcel said:
Hi All:

___IIRC, if you haven’t made a claim on your Honda Extended Warranty, you can receive a portion of it back as a refund. I am not sure of the details but it is something to look into for those that made that purchase long ago …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:39u3nzkb][email protected][/email:39u3nzkb]
Thanks for the info. I will be checking into that.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Not sure if you can get one this late in the game, but I bought mine from:

http://www.curryhondacare.com/

For the hybrid the Honda Care seems to be the best one because it covers stuff like the IMA battery. I probably wouldn't have bought the extended warranty on many other vehicles, but the prices on parts for the Insight are fairly high (especially some of the more exotic parts).

Yeah, it's a gamble. And unfortunately you hear more about people's problems and repairs rather than the good on online forums.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Instead of buying the extended warranty, I put several dollars a month extra in a savings account so if the batteries die, I'll have it. If they don't? I still have it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The BIG winner in regards to extended warranties is the dealer. I have a friend that owns a Honda motorcycle dealership. The dealership receives 50% of the premium paid for an extended warranty. It depends on the policy, but many have a $100 deductible and MANY exclusions for normal "wear" items. He said that few people ever receive the benefit of it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Joecvt, thanks for posting the link above to my thread. Some people have been able to get the dealer to replace an O2 sensor under warranty, but up here it's considered a "wearable part" (a rather expensive one at that). It's not covered by my Cdn extended warranty. My advice would be to look at the long list of exclusions before signing up.

Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the extended warranty when I got the Insight, and after 52,000 miles I really wanted a failed dashboard dimmer switch replaced. They replaced it under the warranty, with an invoice of something like $750, which is almost what I ended up paying for the warranty originally ($900). If you have a lot of pesky things that you'd like to get fixed, it might be a good idea. I probably wouldn't get it "just in case," though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts