Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to install a deck that I have from another car, but I can't figure out how to remove the stock deck. Most factory decks that I've seen have holes that you poke little rods into to release these clips that hold the deck in. On my Insight I don't see anything like that and I don't see any obvious method of removing the stereo. I've searched the forums and found a lot of threads detailing the results people got from installing new stereo systems but little information on how to remove the factory deck.

Also, is there a wiring harness adapter available for the Insight so I won't have to cut the harness to splice wires onto it? I've seen these for some cars, but I don't know if one would be available for the Insight as it is not a common car. However, it is possible that it would use the harness adapter from a different car, as stereo wiring harness plugs probrably wouldn't vary by a lot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah...it really is a piece of cake to remove - just follow Geof's instructions. Removal should only take you about 15 minutes.

I can confirm that the Civic wiring harness will work with the Insight. The only thing that 'may' be missing from an after-market adapter is the power feed to the AM antenna booster in the Insight.

Check the FAQ's here on InsightCentral for more info on that.

http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-co ... .html#NoAM

·
Registered
685 Posts
Try this link (and bookmark it for future use!):
http://www.qagh.com/insight/howto/show. ... howall=yes

It really is extremely easy. I ordered An Alpine head unit from Crutchfield and told them I had a Civic of around 2000 vintage. The adapter plug was all that was needed. I just unscrewed the stock brackets from the OEM head unit and screwed them onto the Alpine. Didn't need any of the parts from Crutchfield's adapter kit.

Infiniti low profile speakers fit perfectly, no modifications needed, stock grilles. But there are lots of other choices. The OEM speakers are pathetic.

·
Registered
702 Posts
ya, its pretty simple, but you need to remove the glove box and part of the dashboard

kind of a PIA, but makes it harder for someone you dont want to take you head unit out

·
Hybrid Technologist
313 Posts
Cool. Thanks.
I just took out the stock ones and realized I need some low profile 2" deep speakers for up front.
I bought a pair of 3" deep speakers last night, only to later realize they may hit the window glass! Ouch!

I ordered a pair of Polk 651s which are drop-in replacements for the Insight, with built in crossovers... which got good reviews everywhere I read. $87 a pair shipped.

·
Hybrid Technologist
313 Posts
The new head unit I got is 18w per channel RMS, 40w per channel peak.

Anyone know what the stock tape deck was (is) rated?

Will this be a step-up, step-down, or the same?
No fear, I'm putting in new speakers too.
18w does not seem like a lot, but IIRC you don't need a lot of power to move 6" speakers.
-John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts