Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've managed to remove the factory deck and I go to install the deck that I have. It's an older one, probrably about 3 years old. Now, I was of the understanding that all decks were the a standard size. However, I go to install the new deck and although it has holes in the right places to fit in the bracket used on the OEM radio/cassette, the brackets will not be spaced widely enough to match up to the holes in the dash if I screw it in like that. I have the metal box thing that came with the deck, but it doesn't appear that there is anything to hold that metal box if I put it into the cavity left by the OEM radio/cassette. I have considered using the brackets but using longer screws and thus having the deck "offset" somewhat from the brackets and held by the screws, but I'm concerned that there will be gaps once I reassemble the dash.

Has anyone elswe experienced this while installing an aftermarket deck?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Haven't seen that. I suggest getting some scrap aluminum bar and drilling holes in it to use on either side as spacers. You will have a gap in the dash that you could cover with some black plastic... I used to have a setup like that on my 1971 Plymouth Valiant.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Unfortunately, there are still several variations of the so-called 'standard' DIN size. Crutchfield lists them as I, E, J & K sizes and calls them all 'typical' DIN dimensions.
My previous Kenwood fit the brackets OK, but had about an 1/8" gap all the way around the unit - too little to try to devise a plastic spacer (for me anyway) but enough to look a bit out of place. The newer Sony deck I just put in fits like a glove using the same brackets - it could be factory if one didn't know better.
According to Crutchfield, any of the DIN-I, E, or J sized equipment will fit the Insight. Perhaps your head unit would be considered "DIN-K" sized? Just a WAG.

Jim

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know which size it is - I eventuallty got it in after several hours, superglue, extensive use of vocabulary, and some luck. I'm not exactly sure what's holding the deck in now that it's all reassembled since it was more or less precariously balanced on the screws (the screws weren't long enough to go into the deck) but now it actually seems relatively solid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts