Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the transmission oil changed (In July my Honda dealer put in Honda ATF and I wanted to replace it with Honda CVT fluid (08200-9006). Shortly after I noticed when cold, there is a delay between shifting to D and the transmission engaging, and there is also a bit of a jolt when it does engage. I was wondering if there is any problem with having a mixture of residual ATF and CVT fluid, since they only put in 3 quarts. I'm also thinking of trying a couple more changes with CVT fluid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too am noticing this in mine when it is cold out... And after the car is warmed up and driven a ways, Then it does not do it.

I recently changed fluid in mine and used the CVT fluid, But I only did it once (close to 4 quarts). I want to "flush" the system but that will take 4-5 changes according to others on the forum. And I paid $8.43 a quart, so that seems a little painful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
UPDATE

2001 Insight. I am pretty sure it never had the tranny fluid changed since new, 35000 miles now. I also think that Honda did not use the CVT fluid untill after 2001. My CVT just started doing the same thing cold or hot. Just purchased the car used and took it to the dealer. Dealer said it had several recalls that they would take care of. One of which was the CVT shudder. The mechanic told me he did a proceedure called burnishing the tranny, followed by a tranny fluid change. (I was told it would be CVT fluid) Did this 3 times. (3 X 3quarts = expensive) He said he also tested it for slipage and it seemed fine. The tranny shudder is now fixed, but now it has the hesitation before engaging. When cold it engages so hard it almost stalls the engine. I have tried the slip clutch reset proceedure twice myself with no change in how the tranny acts. I'm going to take it back to the dealer after the holidays. If I get some answeres I will post them. I sure hope they are as nice about this problem as they were about fixing the recalls. (all done at no cost to me) The mechanic kind of hinted that if the tranny was slipping they would have to replace it under warranty. It seems to me this is a slip clutch problem (thats why I tried the reset proceedure) UPDATE UPDATE Car went to the dealer Jan 7th. 65 degrees outside here in Pittsburgh. They could not replicate the problem. I picked the car up at about 8pm, 58 degrees and it did it slightly on the first start. I'm going to take it back to them "if" it gets colder out. (Global warming? saving me on heating oil for the house) I now think it just may be that the CVT fluid needs to be warmed up more than the older auto tranny fluid. I may try to slightly over fill the CVT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
warmer weather does seem to help

With no changes other than warmer weather (daytime highs in the 50s), it's been barely noticeable for the last two weeks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, it does have a slight delay with cold temps and the transmission not being warm. Not a worry as far as I am concerned. It does it each winter and gets better in the spring.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm with gomarlins3. Mine's an '06 with only 20,000 kms and it has a delay in the cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts