Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh.

I was half awake this morning, driving down the street. Spotted a round light brown object and also spotted a bright blue, crushed Pepsi can near it. Somehow, assume it was a brown lunch bag and was thinking it was too severe for me to swerve out of lane to avoid it...

After the loud clanking of the large rock bouncing up and down below the car, I drove on for another mile, back to my apartment parking lot.

The vehicle was driving fine, from the incident til the time I park. I did felt that the car is a little... winded; seems a little underpowered... more than usual. Jacked up the car and inspected the undercarriage. I can traced the path of the rock, following the scrapes and dents. The tougher parts of the car show exterior scrapes from the rock, but nothing that indicates structural damage. The software parts, however, look a lot worse. The metal shield that protects the exhaust system took the biggest hit, and even torn itself out of one of the four screw sockets. A cylindrical part at the center of the exhaust system took the 2nd impact. The dent compressed the cylinder, but did not puncture it. Other damages are mainly related to the parts that held the panels together. There is a bar that goes across, which various panels are screwed to, it is bend inward. I'm guessing that some aerodynamics changes is all that will affect.

I decided this morning that I will take the vehicle to several shops and get some estimates. The fisrt stop was to be the cheapest solution; a local muffler shop. The guy didn't bat and eye and just pounding out the metal shield and put it back. He said not to worry about it and didn't even charge me for the work. I tipped the guy and left. The car still feels underpowered, but now I'm beginning to doubt myself... maybe the car is still the same, and I'm just too upset... The car will still accelerate fine on the highway...

I have not had the time to visit the other body shops as I have planned. At this point, I'm not even sure if I have a "problem" or if I should even bother to fix it. I have taken a few pictures, but have not load it up to a PC yet.

Of course, the worse of it all... I haven't told my wife yet... :shock:
She'll probably freak out, and insist that we fix her favorite car ASAP... I'm tempted to not tell her today, and see if she'd say anything about the feel of the car. However, she drive like a snail with the Insight, so it she may never report anything.

Sigh...

Charles

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi sorry about your mishap. Could the exhaust be so bent that it causes a restriction on the engine? One of the part you refered to seams to be the resonator ("A cylindrical part" and "The dent compressed the cylinder")

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That bar across the center is only held on by two 10 mm bolts and caneasily be removed and bent back into shape. None of what you described sounds serious but it must have been a major shock. :shock: Consider yourself one really lucky fellow that you did not damage the magnesium oil pan. That would have been serious and expensive. That is the one thing I would check that out really thoroughly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it does sound a little different, but again, I am not really sure any more. Drove the car around some more yesterday and when I'm not thinking about it, the car behave like it should. I think the only time that seems different is when it's accelerating from a dead stop.

The rock started from the driver side and then spun toward the center. There are some scratches to the bottom of what could be the engine and its oil pan, but the scratches are mainly superficial, none are deep. No obvious dents or deformity.

I, too, have thought about exhaust flow restriction, but my co-worker said that the restriction would be more at the pipe, and not at the bigger parts. I guess that makes sense. [shrug]

Charles

·
Registered
700 Posts
Rai Ka said:
... restriction would be more at the pipe, and not at the bigger parts. I guess that makes sense. [shrug]...
Not if it knocked the internal stuff loose...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts