Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Q1.
I just purchased a 2000 Insight, and had it hauled on a car carrier trailer in the worst possible position through 1000 miles of winter. There was a wide open space between my new car and the rear tractor wheels. Should there have been a plate covering this space on the car carrier trailer?

Q2.
Although the car looks horrible, I am more worried about the hidden effects of salt mist. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how or where to clean?

Q3.
Since aluminum is higher in the electrochemical series, it may corrode instead of steel parts if both are in electrical contact. This is the basis for cathodic protection of steel pipes with sacrificial magnesium anodes, and I've seen it on aluminum bike parts. Has anyone seen this happen to their Insight?

·
Super Moderator
9,346 Posts
There is probably some chemical spray that would neutralize the salt (NaCl), but I'm no chemist. Perhaps someone will know what to use.

I would start by simply taking it to a car wash and using one of those wands to spray soapy water everywhere I could reach. Wear a bathing suit;)

You'll never get any satisfaction from the transport company. I doubt that their insurance covers the kind of "damage" that you would claim. They probably don't define it as damage anyway. You could have chosen a closed carrier for a lot more money. That would be their response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jime,

Thanks for your reply. You are probably correct about the carrier position. In hindsight, I should have hired someone to drive the car instead of putting it on a carrier.

·
Super Moderator
9,346 Posts
jime,

Thanks for your reply. You are probably correct about the carrier position. In hindsight, I should have hired someone to drive the car instead of putting it on a carrier.
I doubt that you have any significant damage. Wash it a thoroughly a couple of time with hot soapy water from the car wash. Take some ramps over so you can get at the underside also.

BTW, congratulations on your new purchase. Tell us about it. Year, mileage, color?

You can go to "User CP" above and create a signature which will allow you to post a bit of car info with each post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regarding chemical neutralization: I'm not a chemist either, but a salt results from neutralization of an acidic solution with a basic one, so dilution through rinsing may be the best we can do.

Thanks for the signature tip.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
You live in Wisconsin, so I assume they salt the roads in the winter, and the car will get salt that way, so don't worry about it. Just take it to a car wash and wash off whatever you can.

I live in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago and work in Rockford, sometimes my car is white from the salt and salt dust.

The car (except the engine, some suspension components, trans, etc) are aluminum, and won't rust. By design any steel to aluminum connections are handled with rubber bushings, plated bolts, etc.

Have you ever seen a first gen Insight with any form of body cancer? Thats one advantage to them.

Of course, they are crap in the snow, with the stock tires....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave,

I agree, an aluminum car body should hold up well here. I have never seen a corroding Insight, but have seen precious few. If nobody on this list has seen corroding aluminum, then there are no trouble spots where the insulation between dissimilar metals routinely breaks down.

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm going to the car wash with less trepidation.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
You got it: "The solution to pollution is dilution."

The trouble spots for corrosion are the fuel lines where the curve and are connected to the passanger side firewall. Also the brake lines around the ABS module under the hood. And the four seat posts.

And although you may be concerned about the salty moisture entering electric components (dash, BCM etc), I don't think it would amount to much more comparatively than a few highway trips in those elements with the Insight's four wheels on the ground.

I heard that before galvanization technology was up to par, transoceanic transports of some vehicles had detrimental effects due to corrosion.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
ALso, I just remembered that there is a product to neutralize NaCl which is made specifically to remove salt stains from boots etc. It comes in aerosol form. Vinegar (acetic acid) will do the same, but with residual smell.

There is also Amazon.com: Salt-Away Concentrate- 32oz.: Sports & Outdoors "Salt-Away is a Motor Flush for inboard, outboard, I/O and personal watercraft motors and an exterior salt removing treatment. Salt-Away is water based, non-hazardous, biodegradable, and contains properties that attack and remove salt from any surface. Repeated use with Salt-Away will break down and remove old salt and rust deposits. Safe for use on any metal, aluminum, fiberglass, paint, rubber, plastic, chrome, glass, or any surface exposed to salt. Salt-Away will not strip away waxes, but will wash away salt and leave a protective film on the surface to protect against rusting."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Freezin4,

Thanks for pointing out possible trouble spots, and suggesting Salt-Away. The Amazon product reviews suggest that this will help, and now I know where to apply it.

Also, I just found a 1/4 inch crack in the center of the windshield, which the seller says was not present prior to shipping. Live and learn...

·
Super Moderator
9,346 Posts
Freezin4,

Thanks for pointing out possible trouble spots, and suggesting Salt-Away. The Amazon product reviews suggest that this will help, and now I know where to apply it.

Also, I just found a 1/4 inch crack in the center of the windshield, which the seller says was not present prior to shipping. Live and learn...
The transport guys do carry insurance for just these sorts of things, but If you signed off without finding it, then you are probably out of luck :(

·
Super Moderator
9,346 Posts
Freezin4,

The transport guys carry insurance for just this sort of thing. They make big stock of being insured and transporting without damage. If the driver accepted the car from the shipper without damage notation, then you might be able to make a claim. He probably made you sign off when he unloaded, but you may still be able to claim hidden, or non-obvious damage, if you have not driven the car. If you have driven the car, you are probably out of luck:(

I investigated the shipping option pretty carefully when I purchased "Dogbite" down in Houston, since I was a long way from home. Couldn't bring myself to trust what I was hearing and reading. I towed my car home and went back for the spare 01 Insight. Lot of time and work, but it works for a retired guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts