1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
652 Posts
Interesting. The Civic IMA when introduced had greater power density and efficiency than the Insight. Now we have a 3rd generation model which improves upon the second. Sure wish they would put these improvements into a 2006 Insight (I would be up for a new one). This also makes me wonder about long time battery support. Panasonic has improved upon the batteries multiple times since the Insight was introduced. So in a way you could say that the Insight IMA battery is a obsolete design. When Honda stops producing the Insight why would Panasonic continue to produce a inferior design. I suppose Honda would order a lot of spares to handle replacements for some time but these batteries would be just sitting around which probably is not a good thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's 10 years.

Honda was even pretty good at stocking parts for their old Honda Pilot dune buggy. They're 15 years old now and still very impressive. Honda's engineering is stellar and I'm proud to have learned to 'drive' in one of them. :D I didn't imagine that it would have 40% of the engine displacement of my first Honda car though!

·
Registered
652 Posts
In regards to tires they stopped making the LRR tires for the Civic VX well before 7 years. You can't get the Insight OEM battery in the US either. Now one could argue that there were alternates in place although the VX replacement tires were not LRR and the Insight replacement battery was not as light. I am sure Honda will take care of stocking batteries but my point was that the age of the battery will be old when installed. In other words 10 years from now they would pull a stocked battery off the shelf that might be 8 years old. I assume the battery has a shelf life so that could be a issue. The replacement warranty is only 12 months but would you get the same life from it as you did from the one that came with the car. Have fun, RIck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts