Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Insight with about 58,000 miles. I live in upstate New York. I topped out at a lifetime mpg of 63.4, but have gradually seen the lifetime number dwindle, now to 62.5. Since this is my fourth winter, I'm aware of the plunging winter mileage phenomenon. Though nothing sudden has happened, clearly I am getting worse mileage than I used to, something I started noticing last summer and fall. All conditions - tire brand, pressure, oil, driving routes and patterns are the same. Could this be a sign of decreasing efficiency in the battery pack?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Do you get the same mileage as you used to while cruising along at a steady speed? The IMA won't be a factor under those conditions, but many other things would.

·
Registered
408 Posts
We're in the same boat - about the same mileage and have seen our mpg drop from 64-65 to 62-ish. It also feels like it's harder to keep the car at speed wih the A/C on. We have had some very hot days here so I'm hoping it's nothing. Going to make the switch to fully synthetic Mobile 1 oil in a couple days so we'll see if it helps.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did you have the IMA controller update performed? That hit me a bit. I used to be able to get 78 MPG rather easily on my commute in the warm weather but I am now pressed to be able to get 72 to 74.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here is something to consider.

The diameter of your tires is decreasing due to normal tire wear which will change your mileage. Buy new stock bridgestones and I'm sure your mileage will jump back up again.

Remember that the stock diameter is 1 to 2% too small to register correct MPG readings. So, if you lost another 1 to 2% due to wear then your gas milage will begin to read less.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would thyink a smaller tire would artificially increase the mpg not decrease it. I say this because you would have more tire rotations per mile and the speedometer would show high thus making the car think it covered more miles than it really did. Have fun, Rick

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Oops. :oops: Well maybe one of the others, or junk in the trunk or bugs in the rad. :wink:

·
Registered
804 Posts
With almost 61,000 miles, I have not noticed a change.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have 80,000 miles and my CVT is getting the best MPG's the car has ever had. My lmpg is 53.1mpg, but this summer I've averaged over 59mpg so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rschaffrath said:
Did you have the IMA controller update performed? That hit me a bit. I used to be able to get 78 MPG rather easily on my commute in the warm weather but I am now pressed to be able to get 72 to 74.
Was that the recall repair that had something to do with the oxygen sensor? Yes, I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts