Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several years of having my IMA off, I finally took out the battery, tested the sticks, went through a couple of charging/discharging cycles, and re-assembled it. To my great surprise, it worked! For about six weeks. So I took it out again and tested again. I replaced the sticks that read low, including replacing the harness with the temp. sensors (since two of the four sticks with sensors read low). Maybe after my initial unexpected success I was a little casual and sloppy, but it didn't work this time. I'm going to take off the IMA cover and check to make sure that all of the plugs are connected properly, since that seems like the easiest possible solution. Any suggestions on what to look for next, after I take the battery out again?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,576 Posts
You don't actually state your complaint. Need more info. CEL, IMA lights, driving symptoms, etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,144 Posts
You should measure the tap voltages according to S Keith's signature links in this thread:

All of his material is worth reading. I would also capture the codes that are showing and the blink subcodes using these instructions:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, but I never read the tap voltages. There were multiple issues indicated by the CEL codes. I went after what I considered low hanging fruit first, like replacing the secondary oxygen sensor (which did need replacing). This has been a steep learning curve for me. Besides being a crappy DIYer (but a wannabe), I run a small business that eats up as much time as I'm willing to give it. So I'm doing all of this in slow motion. Mostly because the Insight allows you to run it without the IMA. Fortunately/unfortunately, that buys me time.
I'm thinking it's time to get back to this and read those tap voltages

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did you ever try reading the sub blink codes as well?
The link posted above? Anymore lights on the dash that should not be lit up

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, there were lots of blink codes. That was satisfying to do, and I don't think reading the tap voltages will be any more challenging. Just gotta get off my butt and do it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, about a week ago, I decided to flip on the circuit breaker again for the IMA just to see what would happen. Lo and behold! It worked for the first time in about eight months. Big battery charging and discharging. Auto stop back on. After a week of this, I cleared the codes and drove a bit. When I went to read the codes again, there were none. Part of me is delighted, but part of me is annoyed. The only thing I know that changed is that it got warmer. I've had the IMA come back in the spring before. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had tried turning the switch back on a bunch of times with no results. Granted, I did a lot of testing, replacing, charging and discharging of the battery sticks. But it would be nice to know why it decided to start working again now.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Battery probably discharged for 8 months and the car charged up the battery some after you flipped the switch.
I agree. I think that the long term self discharging and perhaps a subsequent "recalibration" (which in my opinion is the car's attempt to balance what it has deemed an imbalanced pack) worked to make the sticks stay close enough in voltage during charge and discharge. It's possible that the sticks you put in were at a significantly different charge level than the ones already in the pack to the point where the "recalibration" the last time was not enough to bring their voltage close enough to the others, but that the self-discharge helped. Of course, this is nothing more than speculation without measurements to back it up.

Measuring the voltages is interesting and tells you part of the story. The other part of the story is told by stick voltages when subjected to charge or discharge current, when you may see one or more stick pair voltages rise or dip significantly away from the average. Unfortunately there is no easy way to measure this. The BCM does measure this (many times per second), but unfortunately consumes these measurements and does not forward the raw data to other ECUs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts