Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an "a ha" moment. My dad is a recent dialysis patient and the dialysis center sent us a bill for $4000 for 3 treatments (3 hours each) for one week of treatment. He has medicare and medicare will pay for it once we have the docs correct his diagnosis from acute (reversible) to chronic (irreversible). Do the math:
$4000/wk=$200k/year Machine used 9 hours/week. Multiply that by 5 for a 45 hour work week that equals $1M/year. Even if private pay is 2x what medicare pays that is still $100k from medicare per patient per year. Long story short: I had an "a ha" moment 35 years ago and have made a bunch renting buildings to USPS. Now I need some info on the dialysis business. Serious. Anybody know anyone that owns a dialysis center or has any info they can add? Maybe while I'm at it may check into some MRI machines. Any info greatly appreciated. Doing my dd now.
Gerald

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Biododge, What gave you that idea?

LOL. Ah, yep, that is exactly what I am investigating. I've had a surgical clinic with 10 docs working for me for years. I have over 100 buildings leased to your uncle (Sam). $100k/patient for 9 hours of dialysis treatment per week is nuts. Just need to talk to someone in the business. I've got a couple calls to my doc friends and need to check it out. If I can get a cap rate (cash on cash return) greater than 15, I'm in. Borrow at 5%, net 10%, rocks my world.
Gerald

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
When I took public transportation those places were popping up all over the place. Seems high blood pressure damages the kidneys inner structure as well as high blood sugar, drugs and alcohol.

·
3,641 Posts
I can put you in touch with dialysis techs.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete,
Would really appreciate it. Just wondering whether a nephrologist is needed during the treatment or if this is handled by techs? The machines are cheap. I've seen some of these machines sell for $4000 used to $30k new. I'd never buy a used one but these are dirt cheap compared to what is charged for the services. I can get a buildout and free rent for some upscale space here in Indy for nothing down and a signed lease based on my credit. I'll pm you my phone number.
Gerald

·
Registered
938 Posts
the reason i asked is my wife is tech for davita. She said that cost was rather avg to low. She threw a ton of stuff at me on costs-but in short, the investment was huge in price, not including the nurse, biomed guy, d-techs, and other junk she said. She did mention that co like davita and fresnia are buying up lots of smaller places because the cost to run such a place is very high and "they" cant compete rate wise. she made a strong point that the folks there for treatments are very picky about change/locations, and they dont go elsewhere most times.

What im getting at is, the cost is much more then I think you realize (?).

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I had that idea once, but do it on a mobile bases. A good quarter of the riders on paratransit are to treatments and this has to be done several times a week, each person. It takes a few hours and sucks the life out of you when its done. Many cases they bleeding is hard to stop once its done and this can delay someone from going home. Paratransit is arranged transportation, so dealing with an hour delay each way, a few hours for treatment, you got basically a day wasted.

Now what if you drove to the patient, took a portable machine inside? What if you had an RV like vehicle? You pick them up, park somewhere and provide treatment?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Now what if you drove to the patient, took a portable machine inside? What if you had an RV like vehicle? You pick them up, park somewhere and provide treatment?
Now that's a cool idea! Sort of like the bloodmobile, but you get your blood back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts